Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick search on this and didn't find what I was looking for, so maybe yall can answer a quick question for me. When I rebuild the 302 in my 89 bronco I plan on using that comp cams SD freindly cam and using flat top pistons, if the block needs to be bored over. Will I have any running or idling issues with flat tops instead of buying new dished pistons like the factory ones? I figure I won't just something I have to ask and make sure.

Thanks for the help.

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
You'll want to make sure your heads will work with the flat tops. Other than that I wouldn't think you'd have any problems. It will probably change your compression ratio a tiny bit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you talking about piston to valve clearance? Or is there something else I don't know about the stock heads?

Thanks.

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
piston to valve clearance shouldnt be a concern with stock heads and valves. the flattops will prob have reliefs in them.

your only concern will be your compression ratio. it will jump a little bit, depending on how much of a dish you have in your pistons now.

·
1,739 Posts
Yeah, that is what I was referring to. I mentioned it because you didn't say if you were keeping the heads stock. I went to flat tops with my stock 351W heads. The pistons have the relief SquattyD mentioned. They work fine. Just wish I had a 427 stroker instead of just a 351 bored .030 over. :thumbup

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the speed density should not be bothered by the bump in compression using stock heads and a flat top piston right?

Thanks for the help.

·
1,739 Posts
Speed density? Not sure what you mean.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mean with a little more compression will it through off the computer and have a problem idling and running. I wouldn't think so but I just need to know from people on here who have done this that it will run right.

Thanks.

·
1,739 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts