Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to move my bronco from its current location in a few days and the motor is not running. The options that I have are:
Strap towing (last ditch and wouldnt do it if anything else were possible)
Tow truck (really dont want to pay that much just to move it one time since I will need to move it again soon.)
Car dolly (uhaul is a block away but I would have to find smaller narrower tires to fit it on the dolly)
Car hauler trailer (no vehicle big enough to handle a bronco and a trailer of sufficient size)
Tow bar (if can get one for a decent price)
I am by far leaning towards the tow bar idea. I have found a few 5000lb cap tow bars and would like to have one to be able to tow wherever but the capacity is the limiting factor. Last I checked, the dry weight of my bronco was 6050lbs. I also am not sure of the width of the frame. If I get a tow bar I want to bolt it to the frame and not the bumper. Does anyone know the width of the frame on a 91? Also has anyone seen a bronco towed with these tow bars? They are the type normally used for jeeps behind motor homes .

I need to go about 7 miles with it and I can take a couple back roads and can go as slow as I need to.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have seen people tow vehicles using a steel pipe and chain through the pipe. I have to tow mine to the Mechanic and thats how I am towing mine.

·
Registered
349 Posts
For 7 miles of back roads I would get a buddy to flat tow it (strap), unless your wanting a tow bar for future towing anyways. Should work on a FSB but your right about attaching to frame.. I used to have one on a '69 Bronco but not on a FSB.

·
Registered
330 Posts
In no way am I trying to lecture you about Safety and Laws. Safety is a very important issue! What if someone gets hurt or killed because a "makeshift" tow bar came apart? You would be in a world of....S*&^, yunno? Tow hitches and tow bars are rated, class C, class A, for a reason. Broncos are HEAVY vehicles, the tow bar you show does not look strong enough.

U-haul will not rent you a dolly if you tell them it is for a full sized BKO. They are not rated for a 5000 lb. vehicle. You could lie to them and tell them it was a Bronco II, but that would not be true. Again; Laws and liability.

I pay for AAA towing, I know more $$$. But, they will only tow (on our plan) if you have broken down. They don't like to tow any "non-running" vehicles, unless it is to a shop. If they driver see's the engine out, or parts taken off (no current reg.), they won't do it; it put's the drivers job in jeopardy.

Good Luck, again I am not "talking down to you": OK?

·
Side step it
1,583 Posts
I don't know. I have AAA and for $29 a year you get 5 tows from where you are up to 5 miles. Plus, you can always give the guy a twenty & they will almost always get you where you need to go if it's not too far . The distance between where that bar in the picture would attach to my frame is about 34" but remember I have a accordian frame horns. My 2 cents is the bar is safer, & looks better if a cop comes by plus you're towing on flat land so weight wise you should be fine. Your best bet is to find a friend with AAA because their new thing is they don't just tow the vehicle that the card holder owns, they tow any vehicle the card holder is in....!:thumbup

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
i would definitely not tow it with a chain and metal pipe. see if you can find a tow bar rated to the weight of the bronco. I would probably bribe a friend to use their truck (maybe a 30 pack of beer) and go to uhaul and get a trailer for it. maybe a little more pricey but it would definitely beat losing the bronco in an accident or getting a ticket on the way there.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Id think that any of the above could be made safe if done properly... but look at the $ issue like I did when hauling mine to the house... its $50+ for that tow bar which doesnt include any lights that you will obviously need, and if shit hits the fan you will be in trouble... it was $75 for the car hauler, flat trailer from Uhaul... I used a come along to get it up there, had straps over the wheels, bronco got home on the busy dallas freeway 60 miles to my house, no problems...

·
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah the biggest concern that I have is from the police. I plan to have a brake rider inside the bronco incase of a failure (the military requires that we have one whenever we are towing jets at work for the same reason.) The bronco is currently sitting on base and needs to be towed off base so I have to leave through the main gate right past the guard shack. But I also have alot or respect for how badly things can go wrong when flat towing a vehicle. I remember back in high school someone was flat towing a ranger with another ranger using this type bar, down the highway at 55 behind me. The car in front of me signaled to turn and the driver of the ranger looked down to mess with his radio. I tried to give him plenty of room but he didnt see me until it was too late. He slammed on his brakes and I gunned it cause he started fish tailing wildly and then went into a spin with both vehicles. In the end both vehicles came to rest without hitting anyone in the busiest intersection in town. The towing vehicle had its receiver ripped apart and the other truck had its bumper and a few other pieces ripped off as well. I still remember seeing those trucks spinning behind me.

·
Registered
331 Posts
BTW, that was done with a 1/2 ton GMC suburban, which isnt rated for that trailer and a FSB, but I lied and told Uhaul it was a BroncoII... but I didnt experience much squat at all, and it had absolutely no problem pulling and stopping with the load... However I just found out that I have 3/4 drums on the back as I just exchanged the wrong, smaller shoes at Oreillys, have yet to check and see if I have 3/4 ton leaves or diff... mine is listed on title as a 1/2ton, and I know the PO, a pilot, and hes says he never changed it....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking into towing my 79 bronco from San Diego to Austin what is the best way I have looked into the tow bars. How safe is it.

·
Banned
344 Posts
One reason why i got a trailer.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Towing with the right tow bars/tow rig is perfectly safe, but no way would I use cheapie tow bars like in the pic above to pull a Bronco that far.
That far!! It's only 7 miles! As long as you have someone responsible in the Bronco, you can tow with a strap, chain or tow bar. But I can't see buying a tow bar unless its ratted for the Bronco. While it may work for such a short distance with a driver on board, if your going to buy one, get one for the future too.

·
Registered
212 Posts
That far!! It's only 7 miles! As long as you have someone responsible in the Bronco, you can tow with a strap, chain or tow bar. But I can't see buying a tow bar unless its ratted for the Bronco. While it may work for such a short distance with a driver on board, if your going to buy one, get one for the future too.
The guy who resurrected this thread in post #11 was talking about towing from San Diego to Austin. Silly me, I assumed he meant from CA to TX.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ha-ha you got me there. LOL. Totally missed that.
No problem. :toothless Actually, I looked and there IS a San Diego in Texas, and is probably what he's talking about. That's only around 200 miles or so, but still farther than I'd be comfortable using a tow bar like that one. And I happen to have a tow bar like that one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have used,(and still do) a tow bar simular to that on my Broncos. I have welded a 3"x5/16" angle with other reinforcing to the front frame of my old 1990 BKO and have towed it 100s of miles in the sierras and freeways. No problems. Safty chain ,frame to frame and magnetic tow lites a plus. You can even turn the emergency lights on for that 7 miles. There is also the driveline/trans issue. You don't want to just put the trans in N and go. If you have the manual lever t case, put the tranny in park and the tcase in N. It will keep the pumps inside the tranny from turning. My 92 has elect t-case and I have to drop the driveline to flat tow.
Good luck,safty first!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm driving 1,360 miles Oceanside California north of San Diego to Austin Texas. That's what my concern is with a tow bar. Will the 5000 lbs hold.

·
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Having used that tow bar several times I would not recomend it but for around town at maybe 45mph. It worked my bumper loose in a couple trips. I also had to buy longer chains to connect from hitch to frame. You have to remember that flat towing a vehicle will cause it to push to front vehicle very badly. With something like an rv pulling a jeep you don't notice. But even using a half ton truck to pull a bronco it pushed the trucks around. It would be better to use a trailer for that long a distance or just ship it. You can probably get it shipper for 6 or 7 hundred dollars.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts