Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-
Would any of you all recommend installing a flex fan? I know that they spin all the time because they have no clutch, but it seems even so, it would be less resistance on the engine. I know a lot of people do the electric fan, but thats a lot of wiring and something electric to fail. Plus, I think a flex fan would cool more, since it runs all the time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I used to have a flex fan on my first bronco with a 351. The cooling was much better than stock both at idle and while driving.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Good cooling but they a noisy idle, cause the run constantly, even when not needed. I went back to a stock clutch fan.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But, isn't the clutch fan heavier? Is there any electric fan that fits the radiator perfectly? I d rather not modify stuff. I saw people using ford taurus fans, but looking at the technical writeups they don't fit perfectly.

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
But, isn't the clutch fan heavier? Is there any electric fan that fits the radiator perfectly? I d rather not modify stuff. I saw people using ford taurus fans, but looking at the technical writeups they don't fit perfectly.
Doesnt matter about weight, a fan clutch is designed to only work when needed, and your right, your not going to find an electric fan that fits perfect since the bronco was never designed with one, but most guys get them to fit and work just fine.
:thumbup

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am doing an electric fan conversion. I bought a fan and a fan switch that way it will not run when it's not needed.I am just mounting it to the radiator with no shroud. I think it should work just fine. If it fails i'll still have the old fan I can put back on!
I like electric fans better, big metal spinning fan always makes me nervous when I'm tinkering under the hood!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Doesnt matter about weight, a fan clutch is designed to only work when needed, and your right, your not going to find an electric fan that fits perfect since the bronco was never designed with one, but most guys get them to fit and work just fine.
:thumbup
don't mean to hijack, but is there a fan from some place like Summit Racing that will fit decent with little modification?...i know there's fans from the JY that might work, but my local JY sucks, and i can never find anything...i'd rather buy a new one from some place like Summit or Jegs...but which size and how many CFM should i look for?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Most people do the taurus fan because they can find them cheap at the junk yards. The flex-a-lite 295 fit pretty good, i put one in a long time ago and it works great, the a/c blows cool almost instantly and it never gets hot even in the desert heat. The one thing I should have changed about how I put mine in was not putting the controler on the fan shroud, it gets a bit too hot and melts lol.

here's the write up I did on it in 2006 http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64481

·
Registered
710 Posts
living in maryland I wouldn't expect your truck to really overheat. If it is then something else is going on with it. Mine never ever runs hot, it's the coolest running vehicle i've ever had, I think it's because there is so much room around the engine in the engine bay.

If I were you I would either stay stock or start messing with an electric fan.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Most people do the taurus fan because they can find them cheap at the junk yards. The flex-a-lite 295 fit pretty good, i put one in a long time ago and it works great, the a/c blows cool almost instantly and it never gets hot even in the desert heat. The one thing I should have changed about how I put mine in was not putting the controler on the fan shroud, it gets a bit too hot and melts lol.

here's the write up I did on it in 2006 http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64481
I have heard that the wiring does get hot and melts some times. I am going to try insulating mine cause eventually i'm going going back back to Cali Cali. And it gets kinda warm aout there. :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts