Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you guys think about a flex fan...? i'm already doing a waterpump on my truck and was wondering what a flex fan woulddo for me...my buddies all run one on thier 5.0 mustangs, it sounds pretty cool also. lemme know what you guys think:shocked

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
Mine broke and went through the hood. Never found the blade either. Stay stick with a shroud or go electric.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Waste of money, and they don't move nearly enough air.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
302 & 3-inline6's said:
what do you guys think about a flex fan...? i'm already doing a waterpump on my truck and was wondering what a flex fan woulddo for me...my buddies all run one on thier 5.0 mustangs, it sounds pretty cool also. lemme know what you guys think:shocked
What are they chargin' you for a flex fan, may I ask ?

Bet you can pick up a junkyard electric fan off a 3.8 litre Taurus for less. Probably actually save you some gas and horsepower too.

IMO flex fans were invented in the early 70s, by the aftermarket industry to sell to unsuspecting Chevy owners who did not have the benefit of a factory clutch driven fan, like Mopars and Fords had stock back then.

Usually the aftermarket does a pretty good job of fixing the engineering F#@*ups that GM emgineers do to Chevy's. Not in this case, flex fans are a poor substitute for clutch driven stock fans and even worse than electrics.

Sixlitre

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
broncos&bombs said:
you dont like the electrics either Six?
No, I love em'

He's taking about those sheet aluminum flex fans that Chevy's use for decoration under the hood. They look nice, cost a pile and do nuthin' better than even stock.

just can't see the sense in paying Flex-o-lite 500 hard earned dollars when them Taurus fans is there fer' the takin'.

Admittedly I've had troubles with mine, but there's no doubt that they free up substantial power for the engine. Others have also experienced good mileage savings too.

Sixlitre

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
broncos&bombs said:
what kinda problems did you have with yours? ive been seriously thinking about getting an e-fan. gas is eating me up.
I'm electrically "challenged"

just having problems hooking stuff up here and there to run automatically. There's plenty of decent write-ups here for you to follow.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
961 Posts
So will the electric free up that much horse power, and get me that much better milage? The HP i get but the milage? The reason I ask is because I'm interested in going electric. Six any cooling issues?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
with the mileage, think about it for a sec. with a fan, flex or stock, your engine has that drag on it so it has to work just that much harder to turn. take the drag away, power and mileage goes up.

you know the training parachutes for runners? imagine you running as hard as you can for as long as you can with that parachute on your back. lots of drag right? then run without that chute and you can run faster and farther. basically the same principle. it applys to aircraft as well.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Cool, you just guided me through the fog

1 - 20 of 28 Posts