Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and all I can seem to find is info on EFI vehicles.
I've got an 82 with a 351w on 36's So I dont even look at what I get for MPG's

I know E85 will give me lower gas milage and I'm ok with that. I want to buy fuel form the farmers in AMERICA

I'm wondering if anybody has run E85 in their CARB motor and what was done to change it.

I've read that anything rubber should be replaced, so I see this as my mechanical fuel pump, and carb gaskets. I have metal fuel lines all the way to the carb except for about 8" right at the carb.

This is my weekend warrior that doesnt get driven nearly as much as it should so I'm rely not conserned with milage just want to know if it's being done.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
E85 can attract moisture in a hurry it left just sitting around and not ran frequently.

octane rating is HIGH. Great for high compression engines.

you need to rejet the carb to dump more fuel so it does not run lean.

thats a start.

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
E85 can attract moisture in a hurry it left just sitting around and not ran frequently.

octane rating is HIGH. Great for high compression engines.

you need to rejet the carb to dump more fuel so it does not run lean.

thats a start.
And it wont be able to go back to gas easily once you do that.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
And it wont be able to go back to gas easily once you do that.
if he does not rebuild the engine all the carb would be is a rejet to lean it back out for petrol

·
Registered
80 Posts
what carb are you running? most have an alcohol kit available. any rubber in your fuel system will need to be upgraded to alcohol-spec stuff and you will need an alcohol fuel pump. oh and buy some extra fuel filters to carry with you. find a good alcohol tuning guide and follow it. don't ignore the extra ignition timing it can have. now would be a great time to do a recurve, or my personal choice, EDIS with a megajolt controller.

however it would be e85/alcohol only, kinda tough to do a flex fuel vehicle with a carb!

rusty, care to get into detail on the meat prices?

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,596 Posts
rusty, care to get into detail on the meat prices?
Ethanol is made from corn, usually grown here in the US. The increase in demand on corn that has come about from the ethanol market has made the price of corn skyrocket. Corn is the base ingredient for almost every animal feed on the market. From cows to pigs to birds and fish and even your cats and dogs, most animal feeds are corn based. So if the cost of feeding the animals goes up significantly then the price for their meat will also climb.

Also if anyone remembers earlier this year when several large barges loaded with corn went down in the Mississippi River, that also drove the price of corn up for this year as it made a huge hit in the supply to the mills. I try to keep up to date with the prices on corn and such as my father uses a lot for his place back home where he plants several fields.

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
Ethanol is made from corn, usually grown here in the US. The increase in demand on corn that has come about from the ethanol market has made the price of corn skyrocket. Corn is the base ingredient for almost every animal feed on the market. From cows to pigs to birds and fish and even your cats and dogs, most animal feeds are corn based. So if the cost of feeding the animals goes up significantly then the price for their meat will also climb.

Also if anyone remembers earlier this year when several large barges loaded with corn went down in the Mississippi River, that also drove the price of corn up for this year as it made a huge hit in the supply to the mills. I try to keep up to date with the prices on corn and such as my father uses a lot for his place back home where he plants several fields.
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! Ethanol does not help America any, at all. Come from a farming family... Avoid it.

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,596 Posts
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! Ethanol does not help America any, at all. Come from a farming family... Avoid it.
I have taken the old tractor for a few rounds.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
keep in mind mileage wise it take 1.5 gallons of e85 to go the same distance as 85-87 octane, which isn't worth it, since e85 here is only 20cent a gallon difference,
and unleaded gas now days already has 10-15% ethanol as standard.

And Red91XLT, you thinking of methanol, used in california for a while as an alternative fuel, it will eat fuel lines in a heartbeat, as for a bronco, its uses the same fuel lines that are used all the way up to current model vehicles, and as long as you are driving it, and change the fuel filter a little more than often,(its going to clean your fuel system, and clean the crude from the bottom of the tank) it should be fine, if its going to be parked, moisture might be a problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Didn't mean to start the ethanol fight but from working on farms the last few years due to the rise we are able to sell our corn and other products for more money giving us a slighly higher profet. Not rolling in gold, but a small profit increse.

Thanks for the info and opinions!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Also the Ethanol Industry is heavily Subsidized by the Government because it costs so much to make it. You also have to figure that it takes Fossil fuel to make ethanol. Definately not worth the time or $. Propane or CNG would be my choice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts