Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rear springs - from what i understand is that i can flip them around and it will move the center pin backwards (well duh)... wanting to gain a little more wheel base while i have my truck ripped apart and was wondering if any one around here had done this.... some of my local offroad buddies and i have discussed it being done on ford trucks/broncos in the past but i have not been able to find any examples on the internet... anyone on here done it or have any pics?? and yes i know the obvious of my wheel well being in the way and the gas tank clearance issues but this truck is going under some fairly radical changes

so if anyone has any pics or has done it i was hoping on hearing from you

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
rear springs - from what i understand is that i can flip them around and it will move the center pin backwards (well duh)... wanting to gain a little more wheel base while i have my truck ripped apart and was wondering if any one around here had done this.... some of my local offroad buddies and i have discussed it being done on ford trucks/broncos in the past but i have not been able to find any examples on the internet... anyone on here done it or have any pics?? and yes i know the obvious of my wheel well being in the way and the gas tank clearance issues but this truck is going under some fairly radical changes

so if anyone has any pics or has done it i was hoping on hearing from you
Never seen anyone do that but would there have to be hella trimming to get it to work without ripping up the tires?

·
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well yeah... but i'm already dovetailing and with this it looks like i will be making my own fenderwell tubs... cutting was gonna be pretty big anyhow with the tires and minimal lift i am going for ... now i just get to cut less of the front out and more of the back:toothless .... just hoping on a few pics

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
you already named the biggest issues with the fenders and tank. Im pretty certain you could not clear the tank, but would be interested to see real world fitment. the ford spring has roughly a 26/31 split. by turning your springs you gain 5" of WB. there are several other issues to consider, which I will comment on in a list, so I can try to think of them all (Ill prolly forget some stuff)

1. Handling issues- you will have a significant increase in wrap in the back. You will want a anti wrap bar for sure, especially more so if you are running a shackle flip and or blocks, and or a long rear shackle. The wrap will be pretty bad. Another minor issue is that the tire will now droop down and back, which means you have the possibility for driveshaft travel length issues. Prolly not an issue, but something to consider may be the neccessity of a longer travel rear shaft. but hell, we all want a longer shaft dont we.

2.wheeling - unless you plan on BIG tires, you wont like the new wheel base that long. Unless you plan on 40" plus tires or dont wheel ledges/waterfalls, you will not like the break over angle. I stretched 4", and on 40's, the BA was lousy, and with 42's, I would still like a higher belly pan (mine is pretty smoothed out too). I find its not so much the belly that is the issue, but the sliders. Boat siding is a solution, and to date I only know one person working on that in a similar year bronco. Its gonna be sweet, and I will prolly follow suit, but cant really give more info than that right now as its only in the initial stages.

3. Fender clearance- since you are dovetailing, let me tell you that there are two ways to do this. As one of the first I know of in our generation, with a sterling, low lift and big tires, I wish I had done it differentlylike Andy did his based on my recommendation after finishing mine. I cut along the edge of curved section of inner fender, and up over the wheel well. i was trying to save floor space. As a result, I need extra work/bracing to true up the fenders, and it leaves lots of metal that doesnt touch, requiring patch pieces. Instead, do like andy, and ut along the floor/fender seem and bring it in there. This will bring the fenders in a few inches, and give a lot more tire/fender clearnace. It will also keep the fenders straighter. OTH, I am running 42x14 Iroks on a SRW sterling with 1.5 inch spacers with 3.5" backspacing and right around 5 to 6" rear lift. Since the inner fender is smooth, it acts as a pretty good bumpstop with no tire damage, the same when I had 40's and no spacers. I cut my outer fenders along the upper flare line to give you an idea of how much fender I cut, I also angeld the cut back considerably toward the fill neck, so there is about 1" space between the fender lip and the lower left corner of the fuel door.

I dont know what your plans are, but Im not sure its the best idea over all to just flip them. If you can wait a bit, I am in the process of inboarding some chevy rears, which makes mounting position pretty straight forward, meaning you cn move it front and back easily. Now the question becomes streetability and body roll. Another option is to look at running chevy 56's in the rear. I believe they are a 28/28 split, which would extend 2 to 3" for you, but I would have to verify that first. These are the facts as Ican think of them now.

·
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:thumbup.... cool... was hoping you'd chime in as it seems you have tackleda lot of the things i'm running into and headed for... i've got a ton of yours and andy's bronco pics in my "bronco inspirations" folder... yes a wrap bar will be utilized for this because i will have the flip in the rear with a little bit longer shackles... really planning/hoping on 42 inch iroks and hopefully i won't settle for 40s... not super worried about floor space in the rear but i do want to keep a floor back there... had planned on removing sections from the floor for the dove tail and bringing the fender wells in along with the body (andy style).... if i attempt a rear spring flip i am thinking i still may have to tub the wells a little though.... the fuel filler is going to be a cut out "jeep" style filler and i am not worried about the stock location any longer... yes the chevy's are a 50/50... split have some extras in the garage and they will be something to consider as well

i am going to try and keep this thing a little bit streetable just for short cruises but i obviously have other transportation if i am in the works of something like this.... still registered and insured... hopefully it will pass inspection next time i go in for it ... no plans on boat siding it although i have been drooling over the bone shaker build over on pirate (though it will really be nothing like my truck)

thanks for the input... am interested and seeing this inboarding... may change my direction somewhat if it goes well... i have 32 inch spacing in the front as is and may consider evening it up in the rear

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
mine is streetable with 42's no prob, still drives great on the freeway. hope to have the inboard done this week, then need to change the brake lines, and a few things I want to adjust as well, will be a few weks more than likely

1 - 7 of 7 Posts