Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to throw down for a floor jack, probably a 3 Ton or 5 Ton if possible but I'm wondering what height our trucks require. I'm running 33's on my truck, FYI. I searched plenty but only found "big" and "tall enough" as requirements!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
You looking to unload the suspension by lift at the frame or just to change a tire?

Axle lifting 18" is plenty. If wanting to unload the suspension at the frame look into one of those big frame lift air over hydraulic styles. You can unload the suspension with an 18" jack if you're smart about it, but it takes A LOT of up and down.

Justin

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You looking to unload the suspension by lift at the frame or just to change a tire?

Axle lifting 18" is plenty. If wanting to unload the suspension at the frame look into one of those big frame lift air over hydraulic styles. You can unload the suspension with an 18" jack if you're smart about it, but it takes A LOT of up and down.

Justin

I'd like to be able to do both, if possible. I'll just see what the biggest one I can find, I guess.

·
Registered
562 Posts
5 tons may be just enough, but 7 ton would be much better.

It all depends on their max extended height.

I have 5 ton and they are not tall enough on my F250 and 33's.

Sorry, misread your post. I thought that you were talking about jack stands.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I actually got a 5 ton jack that has a piece that fits over the "pad" - it extends the ability of the jack by like 3-4 inches. Works great, and the little extension can be taken off and you can use it for lower cars too.

I had a regular jack without the extender, and I would have to put a piece of railroad tie underneath to even reach the lift point.

I can't afford, not have the room for a hydraulic lift, but this thing is great.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Actually, tell you what I've been doing lately.

If you have GOOD (ie, aftermarket bumpers), I've been using my engine hoist as a jack. Hook it to the bumper and i can unload the suspension by about 3'.

Justin

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
if you are careful a farm jack(hilift) works well, and they are cheap. A big air operated bottleneck jack will do WONDERS. Just keep a wide selections of big wood blocks avaliable. We use alot of bottleneck jacks at work to lift big 18 wheelers. they are compact and somewhat light wieght for a jack.

·
Registered
337 Posts
if you are careful a farm jack(hilift) works well, and they are cheap. A big air operated bottleneck jack will do WONDERS. Just keep a wide selections of big wood blocks avaliable. We use alot of bottleneck jacks at work to lift big 18 wheelers. they are compact and somewhat light wieght for a jack.
I know most of us have done this before but this should not be concidered, make sure you get a good setup, you dont want to cheap out on a jack and risk your life

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
I know most of us have done this before but this should not be concidered, make sure you get a good setup, you dont want to cheap out on a jack and risk your life
About the high lift, that was more geared towards uncompressing the suspension like what others were talking about, i would never use a high lift over a floor jack to change a tire, etc.

I see no problem with bottleneck jacks. Heavy duty ones are very compact and sturdy. Theres nothing wrong with using wood blocks either.

Of course, NEVER climb under the vehicle without jack stands securly under it. perferably have the vehicle setting on the jack stands, and just use the jack for added security.

·
Registered
337 Posts
About the high lift, that was more geared towards uncompressing the suspension like what others were talking about, i would never use a high lift over a floor jack to change a tire, etc.

I see no problem with bottleneck jacks. Heavy duty ones are very compact and sturdy. Theres nothing wrong with using wood blocks either.

Of course, NEVER climb under the vehicle without jack stands securly under it. perferably have the vehicle setting on the jack stands, and just use the jack for added security.

agreed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.