Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. Took out the seats and the vinyl floor covering today so that I could begin to deal with the rust issues inside the Bronco. The bed was in better shape than I thought and should clean up with no problem. The front of the truck was a different matter. I knew I had holes in both the driver and passenger side floor pans, but I also have extensive damage in the floor under and just in front of the rear bench seat. Here's my question: where can I get material for the patches necessary to repair the bench seat area? I see floor pans at LMC and JBG, but didn't see anything for behind the front seats (except for bed). Short of finding material from a donor vehicle, any ideas? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
The only other thing is to use flat panels. A donor is the only way to restore to original in that area as far as I have been able to find.

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
Thanks Rick. I used LMC floor pans for the front, but as already pointed out, there is nothing aftermarket for the rear seat footwell. I was going to use flat sheet (actually my hood recycled! LOL) but I really wanted a ribbed section for the center part of the floor where the stock floor is ribbed. This is for strength and to avoid oil-canning when someone steps into the back seat.

I also have the original tailgate I replaced with a newer one, so, back in a recycling mode, the tail gate access panel is ribbed . . . about the right size . . . just might work! I started fitting it up last night - I'll post some pics later today and let you know how it works out!

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,785 Posts
A cheaper route would be to cut them from another wrecked bronco or f-series like I did. There is a link to my thread in my sig.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I had the same problem.I cut the floor out of a donor bronco(big job) then welded the floor in my bronco.A lot of work but worth it in the end. I also used sound proofing material from the tail gate to the firewall and behind the rear panels. I went up under the dash as far as I could. YOu would not believe the difference in how quiet it is going down the road now.Very happy with results.

·
Registered
586 Posts
can you use sections of the bed of a truck for this part? If so that would be really easy to find.

What about welding some very small angle iron or steel rod to the flat section?

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
can you use sections of the bed of a truck for this part? If so that would be really easy to find.
Could be done but it would be very difficult to fit it up and make it look good.

What about welding some very small angle iron or steel rod to the flat section?
That would help with strength and oil canning.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I look at almost all of this style of thread. I am cutting the floor out of a later F-150. It has been slow going, but it looks SO clean. There is just now starting to be surface rust on the bottom. I am going to cut it out, reinforce the seat brackets, coat it with some rust bullett and weld it in next year (hopefully) since you can step through parts of the floor behind the front seat.

I repaired a lot of that, and found the truck last year. Cutting it apart slowly since I need some panels from insde the door too.

SWS

·
Registered
120 Posts
Good ideas and threads to follow, I'm doing the same thing.

I'm surprised with SO many of us having rust issues in that back seat floor pan section no one has mass produced a patch?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A cheaper route would be to cut them from another wrecked bronco or f-series like I did. There is a link to my thread in my sig.
I have considered trying to find a donor vehicle, but so far no luck with the 78/79 trucks - all the ones I've looked at are in as bad a shape as mine. Here's my question - do the later model Broncos have the same floor pans as the 79s? What about F-series?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts