Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm finally getting around to replacing my old stock muffler on my 93 w/5.0L

It has headers on it, cats, and duals from axle back only. The stock muffler is old, rusty, and leaks.

Without having to replace piping, just replacing muffler itself, should I do the FM 40 with 2.25" Center Inlet/Offset Out or Offset Inlet/Same Side Offset Out? I'm just guessing this is 2.25"...didn't measure yet...weather has been crappy here.

Eventually will replace entire exhaust system, but for now, just the muffler.

Thanks.

Here's the front (inlet) of the stocker

Here's the back (outlet)

Either this one - FM 2.25" OO/SSO

Or this one - FM 2.25" CI/OO

Open to suggestions - but love FM sound. Thanks in advance.

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,435 Posts
In that case we just installed FM Super 44's on my buddy’s 5.0 Mustang and they sound damn good. I don’t know if there is a difference in size but my exhaust was 2 1/2 piping, I would go with a one inlet two outlets.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what size is on the truck now (stupid rain)...but someone did duals out the back off single outlet. I'm keeping that setup until I can replace entire system.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
do some reading online and look on ebay. I have heard that flowmasters patten on the original "chambered" mufflers ran out, so you can pick up copycats dirt cheap on ebay that sound the same and are probably of very similar construction.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. Thanks for the info.

I am not looking at where to get them, or what to get, but more of what style inlet/outlet to fit my particular application. Guess when it dries I will be taking some measurements.

·
Low Buck Bum
3,543 Posts
center inlet/outlet would be your best bet. Quick note: purchase or make a heat shield to go over your muffler, those things get dang hot! Even with a heat shield, the one I had in a Cherokee would heat the floor behind the passenger seat right up.

Also, get yourself these style of clamps to put it on with, if you're not welding it in: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-692250/. I used a similar clamp in an industrial application, lots of heat, gases, and nasty horrible things that would corrode and abrade anything... and the clamps held up like champs. The key is to get a good alignment on your pipes, along with nice clean cuts, that way the band will have a better chance to seal. Snug 'em up, then adjust your muffler so everything is straight, then tighten the crap out of 'em (grade 8 bolts, get after it!)

(******* repair tip: Can't afford that fancy metal covered heat shield material for under your carpet? Head on down to the dollar store and pick yourself up a silver window shade! Yeah, it's hack, but who's gonna know?:toothless)

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OOOhhh..I like the SpinTech mufflers! Might just order one of those. Those clamps are super nice too. Do they come with bolts or is that why you said get some G8 bolts? Where can I order ones that fit them?

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
If you have a cat converter, It is doing most of the muffling anyways, These are quiet trucks with the lame cams and 2 into 1 exhaust {after the axle don't count} use the cat as the muffler and see how you like it-

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you have a cat converter, It is doing most of the muffling anyways, These are quiet trucks with the lame cams and 2 into 1 exhaust {after the axle don't count} use the cat as the muffler and see how you like it-
Kind of strange advice coming from a California truck. Are you registered in Nevada, or do you just bribe the smog guy to overlook your not having a muffler?:rockon

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What is funny though, it has headers on it, then goes into single pipe with what appears to be 2 cats, then the stock muffler, then into duals out the back. Major bottleneck I'm sure. I just want some noise...was going to hollow out the cats, and use FM or SpinTech (I guess now).

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You lost me. Did I post this in another thread?

That muffler would be way quieter than I would want on a truck with cats.

The Pro-Streets are what ya want if you have cats.

I was referring to the post above you about the Summit clamps. Sorry. LOL

I'm liking those SpinTech mufflers. $85 is about what I was going to spend anyway. They have similar FM sound right? Nothing like a Ford v8 with FMs.

·
Registered
305 Posts
40's had a terrible drone on my last 351. Would not get them again. I got earaches on trips.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
snowTom, I never new that a muffler was considered smog equipment, I don't have to bribe anyone. What part of the SMOG function does the muffler serve ? I guess I should clarify my post... Can a muffler really give your truck a great sound if the cat converters get all of the brutal sound waves anyways-

1 - 20 of 29 Posts