Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have at 90 xlt, 351 with headers and duel flowmasters..

my question is.. truck is too damn loud.. it sounds cool and all but I bought it this way and prefer it quieter..

Do i lose anything by going to a stock exhaust? Any recommendations on an after market exhaust that more of a low rumble then a wake up all the neighbors when I drive by??

·
Registered
217 Posts

my question is.. truck is too damn loud.. it sounds cool and all but I bought it this way and prefer it quieter..

Do i lose anything by going to a stock exhaust? Any recommendations on an after market exhaust that more of a low rumble then a wake up all the neighbors when I drive by??
Depends on what flowmaster you have. I run a single exhaust with a 96 351 flowmaster 40 series, and its loud, but not overbearing. It drones a bit at times, but quiets down at highway speeds, and well hell that puts my daughter to sleep half the time.

i think the 50 series or the delta ones arent as bad. Or try magnaflow. From what others have told me they are quieter, and dont drone as bad either.

·
Registered
209 Posts
A good exhaust shop can get you some high flowing mufflers that are quiet. I just have factory y pipe modified to a 3" collector to a 3" high flow cat to a 3" in/out high flow muffler. I also had them tuck everything as high as possible so I don't rip the exhaust off while off roading. I wanted mine as quiet as possible for "viewing animals in their natural habitat through high power optics aided by high power lighting sources". If I want to hear a loud obnoxious exhaust, I'll fire up the Harley and go for a ride.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,091 Posts
Does this system still have the cat inplace? If it doesn't adding a high flow one will help with the volume and the resonance. I also agree on looking at a different kind of muffler or adding a small resonator to you current setup. Is it true duals or do the headers feed into a y-pipe? Depending on the size of pipe used on the current setup not sure if you would loose anything going to a single if it is not.

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
as said above, you don't have to go stock if you want quieter. you can get different mufflers all together or add a resonator. i wouldn't add a cat, though. it'd be more expensive for a high flow cat and wouldn't do anything different to the sound than a resonator would.

·
user title
2,211 Posts
Agreed with add a resonator. Also, I gather you do have true duals. If so, you can have the exhaust put to one and it will help.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,844 Posts
Im running the hooker aerochamber and am very happy with it. doesn't drone at all and when you let off the throttle is pretty quiet.

·
Registered
446 Posts

I bought my bko with a flowcrapper on it and like you, hate the noise/obnoxiuosness of it.

Check out magnaflow if you still want a little rumble and no loss of flow. If you want it even quieter still with good flow characteristics check out walker quiet flows. Beyond that, you are back to stock.

I will be going with the walker qf's myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts