Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with their headers for a 78-79 Bronco 351M?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I've got their cheap crappy headers on my 302 and they work fine. Nothing wrong with them in the many years I've had them that I can bitch about.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got their cheap crappy headers on my 302 and they work fine. Nothing wrong with them in the many years I've had them that I can bitch about.
Finally a response. LOL

thanks! I can't decide on Hooker or Flowtech or some short's ( which actually cost more)

did you notice any performance gains from them, or just some additional throaty sound?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have a header tread I posted about fit, it seems headman is hit or miss, but mostly miss. If you are going chassis exit i'd suggest fenderwell based on what I was told. Chassis exit I have no clue. I'd love full length headers if I could get some that would fit.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a header tread I posted about fit, it seems headman is hit or miss, but mostly miss. If you are going chassis exit i'd suggest fenderwell based on what I was told. Chassis exit I have no clue. I'd love full length headers if I could get some that would fit.
Can you explain the difference and why I would want one over the other when it comes to chassis/fenderwell exit?
Whats the reason for the difference?

I havent heard much about Headman that makes me wanna buy, so I ws looking at Hooker.
I would look at sanderson, but I cant tell if they are ceramic coated for the price they are asking?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've got Flowtechs in my `78 and Hedmans in my `79. Both installed by previous owners. The Flowtechs have quite a few dings in them to clearance them from things, where the Hedmans seem to fit fairly well. but I think the Hedmans have a crack where all 4 pipes meet in the collector.

For sound, the Flowtech's have that typical cowboy truck sound. Very unrefined, raspy and quite obnoxious. Almost an open header type sound but not as loud. The Hedmans sound a bit smoother and deeper. More growl than the snarlier Flowtechs. Both of them are running thru bullet style, straight thru mufflers so the mufflers are not the difference in sound.

Another thing to mention is that the `78 with Flowtechs has the exhaust routed to the passenger side, around the T-case before going dual out the back. The `79 with Hedmans has pipes going under the crossmember and straight out the back.

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
Iv got Headmans on my bronc and am very happy with the sound and clearance. also they havnt pitted much in 3 years, only light surface rust:thumbup

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Iv got Headmans on my bronc and am very happy with the sound and clearance. also they havnt pitted much in 3 years, only light surface rust:thumbup
Were they direct bolt on's or did they require welding?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got Flowtechs in my `78 and Hedmans in my `79. Both installed by previous owners. The Flowtechs have quite a few dings in them to clearance them from things, where the Hedmans seem to fit fairly well. but I think the Hedmans have a crack where all 4 pipes meet in the collector.

For sound, the Flowtech's have that typical cowboy truck sound. Very unrefined, raspy and quite obnoxious. Almost an open header type sound but not as loud. The Hedmans sound a bit smoother and deeper. More growl than the snarlier Flowtechs. Both of them are running thru bullet style, straight thru mufflers so the mufflers are not the difference in sound.

Another thing to mention is that the `78 with Flowtechs has the exhaust routed to the passenger side, around the T-case before going dual out the back. The `79 with Hedmans has pipes going under the crossmember and straight out the back.

So, overall you would say Hedmans?
Is it better to run the pipe around the t case, or under? Seems like under would cause clearance issues while off road beatings take place

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Finally a response. LOL

thanks! I can't decide on Hooker or Flowtech or some short's ( which actually cost more)

did you notice any performance gains from them, or just some additional throaty sound?
Yeah when the engine was already at 4000 rpm's it sure felt like it had a lot more power. They sounded like any other unequal length header too.

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
The way i ran my pipe is through the tranny crossmember. that way everything is tucked up under there and wont be in the way. By the way my hedmans were a direct bolt on. they fit the first time with no mods

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The way i ran my pipe is through the tranny crossmember. that way everything is tucked up under there and wont be in the way. By the way my hedmans were a direct bolt on. they fit the first time with no mods
Sounds like the way I am leaning.

I am looking for the most simplictic install, small gain in power through the mid range and of course the added sound to pipe through the 2 chamber Flowmasters. I ordered a holly 500 & drop in AirAid filter ( I used to work there, got it for free) to compliment the intake side as well. Should wake this 351 up a little.

Thanks for the info:thumbup

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
I even considered gettin my headmans jet-hot coated. That would look awsome through the fenderwell!:rockon

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Can you explain the difference and why I would want one over the other when it comes to chassis/fenderwell exit?
Whats the reason for the difference?

I havent heard much about Headman that makes me wanna buy, so I ws looking at Hooker.
I would look at sanderson, but I cant tell if they are ceramic coated for the price they are asking?
Nickel coated I believe. You want to look at the headers for Cleveland. Same ones for Bronco.

·
Registered
44 Posts
So, overall you would say Hedmans?
Is it better to run the pipe around the t case, or under? Seems like under would cause clearance issues while off road beatings take place
I'm not sure about the price difference as I know flowtechs are about as cheap as you can get, but yeah the hedmans are a much better fit and sound. And yes, redoing the exhaust is high on my list of priorities as the exhaust is currently the lowest point of the truck, and if I don't reroute it, nature will :toothless

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got these off CL for $35.00
that an ok deal?? Slightly used, all I need are gaskets. Can anyone suggest a good brand?

Hedman's,

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
Percy's "dead soft" gaskets. Ran em for 4 years and cant get them to blow out. Also have their collector gaskets:thumbup

1 - 20 of 21 Posts