Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Why didn't you ask your friend? :goodfinge What he/she means is, draining the gear oil from the axle diffs, and adding fresh gear oil. It's unlikely that you got ddep enough in the mud, to get the mud up past the frame, so you only have to worry about the axles. I would also clean, and repack the front hub bearings

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
From my experience, mud doesn't present that much of a problem as far as contaminating fluids. It's deep water that one has to watch out for.

BTW--It would be a good idea to check the front and rear diff. for contamination, repack wheel bearings, and grease the front end and driveline.

Got any pics?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I don't understand... Do you all really do all of this every time you get your Bronco's feet wet? There is a point on my road where you have to ford the creek to get through.

Would you change the gear oil, and repack your bearings every time?

Does extending the breathers replace the need to do this?

Thanks.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
D-diesel said:
extending the breather line's enables the drive train to not ingest water, mud, etc. hub's are not included. hub seals in my experience are not the greatest so after being submerged i think it would be a good idea to at least check the grease.
exactly. Remember though it depends on the depth of the water. If I know it's going to be past hub deep, and I am in it for any length of time, I will always at least pull the hubs and inspect. Don't need to worry as much about the diffs, tranny, tcase since they are all now vented high in the engine compartment.

If you don't check, and have been running in deep water, expect to be forking out major dough for the named components above. It's not a big deal to do these things, once you've done them a few times, fluid changes are simple.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts