Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I finally got the 14-bolt axle slung under my Suburban, but after the screw-ups I had cutting the old mounts off, I now have slag laying in the axle tubes. I figured this wouldn't be an issue, and cleaning the tubes out would be easy... Nope... With the gearset in, I cannot think of any way to get the slag and contaminates out of the axle without pulling the gears. The axle tube narrows down when it gets to the hubs, so nothing will just flow out the end. Any ideas how to get the slag and crud out of the axle tubes?

Thanks a million!

·
A D M I N in training
2,973 Posts
cut a half moon shape out of metal weld that to a long thin piece of metal. this makes a great tool to scrape out all the shit

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
terry cloth rags will pick up slag and junk pretty good.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. Perhaps Ironhorse is indeed sometimes useful! Now to learn how to weld, obtain the pieces, and then make it. :banghead I had thought about using a shop rag and either pulling or pushing it through the tube, but the gearset prevents me from doing that. Unlike other gearsets I've seen, the gearset in the 14-bolt seems to completely cover the ends of the axle tubes up, so there is no access from the center when the gears are in. The other oddity about this particular model of axle is that when the axle tubes get to where the hubs sit, the tube narrows up, making a lip that junk will not want to run up and over.

My current thoughts are to attach a brush to a broom handle or stick of rebar and clean the tubes out with that. We shall see. I'm hoping to have the truck back on 4 wheels by tommorow, but I think it's a bit optimistic.

·
A D M I N in training
2,973 Posts
you don't want to push that stuff towards the gearset, you want to pull it towards you.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Buy a cheap mop and cut off most of the ends of it so you have just a little of the cotton around the ball where is is attached, push it into the tube and pull it out while pushing is sideways?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts