Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The right rear axle shaft is being replaced today. Pretty trashed. What's the best way to flush this thing out? I've got metal shaving all in the housing. Everywhere for that matter. Don't want to pull this thing out and strip it down and power wash it. But if that's the best thing? I was thinking about using an unlimited supply of brake clean ($$ permitting) and a 2" magnet. What do yall think?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
get some brake clean from the autozon(youll need alot) spray away . when it desolves clean rear cover , seal it with permatex gray from local autoparts store.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
Get one of those flexible thingies that have the freekin' strong magnet on the end {for working on cars and you drop something} Run it in and out of the tubes a buncha times to collect the metal, Get a neyodymium magnet of of ebay [sp} they are freekin PoWerfuL... Silicone it to the diff cover-

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,498 Posts
When my 8.8 puked bearing goop all over the inside I removed the entire rearend off the vehicle, disassembled it then took the housing to the local car wash. Sprayed it inside and out for 15 minutes. Took it back home, wiped it out, sprayed it down again with degreaser and wiped out one more time. I used a cut down broom handle as a "cleaning rod" with shop towels attached to one end. Ran it in and out of the axle tubes like you would when cleaning a gun. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
84 Posts
When my 8.8 puked bearing goop all over the inside I removed the entire rearend off the vehicle, disassembled it then took the housing to the local car wash. Sprayed it inside and out for 15 minutes. Took it back home, wiped it out, sprayed it down again with degreaser and wiped out one more time. I used a cut down broom handle as a "cleaning rod" with shop towels attached to one end. Ran it in and out of the axle tubes like you would when cleaning a gun. Worked like a charm.
That sounds like a really good idea. I'll have to remember that when the time comes...

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I would put a strong magnet on the cover plate on the outside, but under oil level and after a few thousand miles remove the cover plate (but DO NOT pull the magnet off) and clean the filings off. I did that when Ihad some problems with my axle and it collected all the filings after 3000 miles. I did put the magnet back after the first time I cleaned it and 2 years later there was no filings on it so Ithink it did a good job.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Slightly OT, but i think it's sad that people are collecting ideas for "when my 8.8 eats itself". I admit I'm in the same boat, consistently check the cover for dents from the inside (esp since i'm a pre-87), looking for twisted axle tubes, and am on a quest for shavings at any oil add or fill. Hopefully i'm just being overly cautious.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well fellas just an update. I've got the axle shaft in along with new bearing and seal. Piece of cake. For the most part. Hardest part was pulling old bearing (just PITA if slide hammer aint big enough), removing diff cover doping it up and putting it back on. The rest went "in like flinn". As far as the shavings, I used about bout 5-6 cans Oreilly brake clean, a 2" round magnet with small hole in center i picked up last year at an Ace Hardware going out of business, a threaded dowell I picked up a while back for anything and everything I could think of to attempt to extract (3 of 8) piss por designed broken busted broke down trash spark plugs Ford used on early to mid 06 f150's. Stupid things will seperate with bottom half stuck inside heads. Sorry for the pig trail. Bad time in my life. Stressed for 3 days. Attatched the magnet with the magnet part to the inside toward the gears so as you're pulling it back out each time it won't potentially catch anything and break to pieces and stick to the housing. Did this for about 20-30 minutes. Worked pretty well. Used about 15 small red shop rags to clean shavings from magnet. It never got 100%, but darn close to put back together and get me back on the road. I'll flush it again pretty soon. Few times actually.

I love the magnet stuck to the cover idea, it just makes me nervous knowing its in there. Maybe I'll tell my buddy to do it and have him lie to me and say he didn't. HaHa. It sounds like it works great. Makes perfect sence. Prolly end up putting a 9" in when I get the time cause my buddy just got me a D44 SAS. Will be doing these 2 in near future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts