Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have been researching some other options to use in place of the ol cb radio. Race radios are used in desert racing and from what I hear 100 times better then the cb radio. They get about a 10-15 mile range and the clarity is suburb compared to a cb. Only problem is its just under 300bucks to get a decent setup going and you need to get a couple people on them since of course they are not going to communicate with a cb. I think this is the way to go cause I hate listening to truckers coming across your channal and you aways have one dude in your group that has a shitty cb. You have to modify the radio to trasmit from 147 but thats a simple mod and lots of instructions on the net.

This is the radio I was looking at from hamradiooutlet.com. they also can be found on ebay for cheaper too.

another decent radio for a bit cheaper

The antenna setup Im looking at is at http://www.pciraceradios.com

and the mount and coax

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Personally, I wish that everybody in the off road community would go to the relatively small amount of trouble that it takes to get their ham radio liscenses so we could all dump CB and use something like that 2 meter rig you have in that pic. The audio quality is outstanding as compared to CB because it uses FM instead of AM, and the range is also much better, especially if there is a repeater you can use. The antenna mount you have pictured there is called an NMO mount, and it is usually mounted to a 3/4" hole sawed in the sheet metal or onto an L-bracket if you don't want to drill into the body.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kf4amu said:
Yea dont call that a "race radio"...those are definitely ham radios. Possibly modified to transmit on other freqs but either way...its a ham.

-Will
89 XLT 460

I know "technically" they are a ham but thats what everyone in the offroad scene calls them, plus it sounds better than ham IMO I never did like the term "ham radio" sounds like some old people hobby or something :toothless

and yes you do mod them to trasmitt on higher freqs. during a race they run on 150 or 151 mainly. so thats what I would plan on running since we are quite far from where all the main races happen so

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
Yea I dont like the term ham either. Yea theres some idiots in it but most guys are uber geniuses...and referring to them as "hams" just doesnt give much credibility to a organization the public isnt really aware of anyway...

and Amateur Radio Operator...is just too damn long to say

-Will
89 XLT 460

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thus why i like the term race radio.....:toothless

IF we can get like 5 or more AZ guys that want to go in on this deal we might be able to get a group buy thing going with one of these companys

·
Tastes Like Chicken
1,054 Posts
Dustin said:
thus why i like the term race radio.....:toothless

IF we can get like 5 or more AZ guys that want to go in on this deal we might be able to get a group buy thing going with one of these companys
If you can get 5 or more of ya'll together to plunk down the cash, why not go the little extra and get an amateur license. It's a 35 question test, multiple choice, with the question pool of 250 or so questions published. The book to study from is under 20 bucks, the test was around $6.00, and the license is free.

I picked up the book and 3 weeks later had my ham ticket. My class of license was pretty easy, no morse code requirements.

One thing about using those radios, while it's true that the FCC rarely gets involved unless there's a complaint, you can believe alot of the hams out there are absolutley rabid about frequency violations. And yes, they can find you.

While researching for a thread on here last week I found out that even though you can modify your radio to transmit on other frequencies (FRS, GMRS) it is still illegal to use it, as it has not been type accepted for that use.

Bottom line, for 30 bucks and a little bit of time, you will save yourselves the potential for a whole lot of grief down the road by just getting your amateur radio license.

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
DogFuzz said:
While researching for a thread on here last week I found out that even though you can modify your radio to transmit on other frequencies (FRS, GMRS) it is still illegal to use it, as it has not been type accepted for that use.
Damn. It would be nice to have a unit in the vehicle that could do those to.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hardly any of the desert guys have a license and they dont have problems. Im not planning on getting one unless this becomes a big deal, plus I will be using the desert freq so we shouldnt get very many other hams on them. I have a feeling its like pulling teeth to get people using these radios. Im not going to talk to some weirdo across the country while I drive down the road so this is stricly for wheeling

·
Tastes Like Chicken
1,054 Posts
You have a common misunderstanding of the geezer hobby. There are some people out there who literally talk around the world, but you're not gonna do it with that radio. Hell, I knew a guy who would get on his motorcycle with an earpiece and a morse code key strapped to his thigh and ride for 800 miles tapping out morse code to people all over the place, but it was a low frequency rig.

Even if the chances of getting hassled are slim, it'd be worth your time to go ahead and get a license.

·
1,739 Posts
Well I always wanted to look into alternatives to the CB. Seems like these would be expensive though. Might be worth it if the people I wheel regularly with get them.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aikidoka said:
Well I always wanted to look into alternatives to the CB. Seems like these would be expensive though. Might be worth it if the people I wheel regularly with get them.

they are expensive but worth every cent...you just need to get a few guys on them. you will want to toss your cb in the trash once you try fm

·
1,739 Posts
Dustin said:
you will want to toss your cb in the trash once you try fm
Maybe, but that will probably never happen. It just comes in way to handy on road trips for listening about traffic and speed traps.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Dustin said:
they are expensive but worth every cent...you just need to get a few guys on them. you will want to toss your cb in the trash once you try fm
Seriously, he's right. Once you get used to the audio quality you just don't have any patience for how crappy CB sounds.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats it? comon people we need to convert from the crappy ol cb radio!!

total is only 241.90 with the kenwood radio, antenna, mount, and coax. Thats everything you need for crystal clear clarity.

·
1,739 Posts
Gotta pass emissions, vacation in Colorado, and then finish my custom gauge cluster first.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
It seems strange that people on here have terrible things to say about others that do illegal things like trespass especially in their Broncos, street race and similar. Yet mention illegal use of radios and nothing happens. We get answers like "everyone else does it".

That isn't the answer.

Tim

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
k1w1t1m said:
It seems strange that people on here have terrible things to say about others that do illegal things like trespass especially in their Broncos, street race and similar. Yet mention illegal use of radios and nothing happens. We get answers like "everyone else does it".

That isn't the answer.

Tim

like I said....I cant even get a response of people wanting to go this route(at least from az) so Im not going to blow my time getting a peice of paper. Now if this becomes a big thing and is something I use or would use alot then yeah I may concider getting it offical, but as of now I want to try it out and see how many people I have on board.

·
1,739 Posts
k1w1t1m said:

That isn't the answer.

Tim
Damn. Must have missed my post stating I would do it without getting a license. :thumbup

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
k1w1t1m said:

That isn't the answer.

Tim
Tim, if you'll re-read my posts I'm pretty sure you'll see that is NOT what I was advocating.

And it really is not that hard to get your technicians liscense. Hey, for a big movement to start somebody has to take the first step. Also. if the financial thing is the problem there are somewhat cheaper alternatives, like portables, used gear and there are several manufacturers that make cheaper rigs than Kenwood. I'm a Yaesu fan myself, but they cost about the same as the Kenwoods, both are good quality radios.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts