Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to feel like a 'tard after i ask this- but i cant figure it out.

how do you measure the degrees to tell how much of a * on the c's you need? and what does that total degree affect? driveshaft angle?

again- i feel like a retard for asking- but i cant find the answer...
ace

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
WheelinElvis said:
im going to feel like a 'tard after i ask this- but i cant figure it out.

how do you measure the degrees to tell how much of a * on the c's you need? and what does that total degree affect? driveshaft angle?

again- i feel like a retard for asking- but i cant find the answer...
ace
Don't feel like a total tard. :thumbup I asked that question and NO ONE replied about 2 yrs ago. gotta wonder since I searched like a beeettttchhh. These days, it has been posted in many threads, and does depend on what your particular setup is. Important facts: Lift, and RA's used mainly. RA's since some, like cage/duff, provide 4.25* of correction. Correction of what? Driveshaft angle, no. Caster (tilt of axle and knuckles forward/backward), YES. Here's the deal:

Imagine you stuffing that axle under the truck, you put those long coils under it and have 6" no 7" no maybe more. Well, as your truck height goes up, so does the frame, and what happens to that axle? If attached via stock RA's with no real C bushing correction it would be tilting more and more foward, wouldn't it? Bad news, since among other things that is NEGATIVE caster. Yea, might point your axle toward the Tcase, but not good. You need proper balance between maintaining positive caster (viewed from the side look at your knuckle, it should be tilting backwards a little...measured roughly at the knuckle flat spot top or bottom to say between 4* and 6*...tilted backwards as in the front little arms that the TRE's will bolt to would be up more) and decent driveshaft angle.

Not going to get into caster since there are lots of things via Yahoo search to explain the importance of this. Your next step is in telling us what da plan is in order to recommend something. :popc1:

EDIT: I should mention that if you have the caster correct, you actually should have a good driveshaft angle with it.

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im going to be putting in:
d44
ttb adapters with 6" coils
bent/lengthened modified stock arms
8lug conversion
etc...

i was reading up on some of the SAS done here- and most people go with a 4* bushing- but i wasnt sure...
ace

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
WheelinElvis said:
im going to be putting in:
d44
ttb adapters with 6" coils
bent/lengthened modified stock arms
8lug conversion
etc...

i was reading up on some of the SAS done here- and most people go with a 4* bushing- but i wasnt sure...
ace
How much, if any drop for the RA to frame brackets? With 6" coils and TTB adapters you're likely to fall in the 7" or so lift category. Dependent on RA drop brackets or not, you'll likely need more than 4*. I'd talk with 1clean see some pics he has since he's right in process, but I'ma thinkin' 7*

If you aren't planning on dropped RA brackets, my guess is that with just 4* bushings, you'll have maybe 2* + caster, maybe not even that (closer to 0 so the knuckle will look like totally flat on top compared to the ground). This lack of caster will produce a couple unhappy drive characteristics but mainly wander at speed (constant need to correct with steering wheel even though toe is set correctly).

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im gonna be using the superlift drop bracket for the solid axle

·
Registered
254 Posts
ace them r/a are stock with bent&twisted extetions there not bent for tire clearens.hes got 6 inch ttb coils ttb adapters. when i had it on my truck it gave me around 8-9 inchs and hes using superlift drop brakets from a 6 inch kit for a 78-79 bronco

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh yeah- we talked about the RA's before... i forgot what all they had done to them.
ace

1 - 9 of 9 Posts