Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching a program last night about the history of jeeps and I learned some interesting things.

-Do you guys know how the name jeep came about? The military personnel used to call experimental vehicles, jeeps. Another thing they mentioned was, shortly after the jeep was made and taken through it's paces it was being showed off to the public and a reporter asked what the name of it was and the driver simply echoed what he heard others calling it. So it took off from there as it went all over the news channels. The military also called it a GP (general purpose) vehicle, so jeep for short.

-What does CJ stand for? After WWII Willy's wanted to capitalize on the success of the jeep and so they made a CJ (civilian jeep)

- Another interesting fact was that it was so successfully as a military vehicle that the Germans were given orders to capture these vehicles and rather than destroy them, use them, which they did.

There were other interesting facts but these are all I can recall for the moment.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
just thought i would ad some stuff i knew about them.

The Bantam corporation actually designed the Jeep but willys overland won the govt contract to produce it because bantam was not equiped to produce then in the volume needed to supply the military.

ford also manufactured jeeps during the war but Henry Ford (may have been jr. dont remember) insisted that every part on the Jeeps built by ford have Ford stamped on them.

Ford built there own version of the Jeep using Front and rear independant suspension the grill slats were horizontal instead of vertical. It didnt last long because of high rollover rates due to the difference in handling from solid axle Jeeps. The suspension had lots of travel so when taking bumps if the wheel was turned at the moment of landing it would send the tire up into the wheel well causing the front corner to dive causing a roll.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, to both of you guys, I was watching discovery channel and all that other stuff that bearfoot mentioned was covered. I like that discovery channel. It's funny, in school I hardly payed attention to programs like that, now I will go so far as to go out of my way to make sure I watch some of the programs on there.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Damn, I missed it... I need to Tivo it for long keeping. That was a very interesting program.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
Ford built there own version of the Jeep using Front and rear independant suspension the grill slats were horizontal instead of vertical. It didnt last long because of high rollover rates due to the difference in handling from solid axle Jeeps. The suspension had lots of travel so when taking bumps if the wheel was turned at the moment of landing it would send the tire up into the wheel well causing the front corner to dive causing a roll
See TTB even sucked then too

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
See TTB even sucked then too
Actually, it was control arm IS, or I guess, IRS. The front and back looked the same, control arm suspension. I *used* to have digital pictues of one that was on a firing range some time ago at Ft. AP Hill, VA. Though, you would have to take my word for it, cause I havent seen them pictures in forever.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
I think Toyota even used it when they built there F-4 was it? or the landcruiser? i don't know.

They still have the military jeeps for sale in crates out here.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bronco Rob said:
I think Toyota even used it when they built there F-4 was it? or the landcruiser? i don't know.

They still have the military jeeps for sale in crates out here.
Really? How much are they asking for them?

Not that I have more than a penny to my name, just curious.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Id only want one of the Jeeps with solid axles front and rear, it was full leaf setup.

From my book "The story of Jeep" or something similar to that title, the Jeeps with IFS/IRS were a problem with handling, and they flipped easily, more easily than the solid axle version. IIRC, they only produced them for a short period due to that fact. All of this is of course, IIRC. :) I didnt have a jeep at the time, and never thought Id own one, so a few years ago I gave the book to my G-Father, a WWII vetren that loved the old Army mules.

Andrew

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
waltman said:
Really? How much are they asking for them?

Not that I have more than a penny to my name, just curious.

I'll have to call my old boss to see if the guy that had them still has them. It's been about 4 years since i talked to the guy, but he had a shit tun of them.

The only problem i can remember with my boss' was the gearing, to get that thing to 45 mph you had to have the throttle wide open. Still really cool though, they came crated so you had to put everything together on them, even came with that bikini top.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These the military jeeps, right? Do you know what model year they are?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts