Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
Those look pretty cool. Any dimensions on the overall length. Those BII arms look a lot shorter than Fullsize TTB arms

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
I think a quality heim would be just fine

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
With the heims and the steel, and paint, would it really be worth it?

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
I'd think you could make a set for around $150 if you didnt have any material laying around

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I'm not sure that any aspect of the suspension, even one that in theory COULD (possibly maybe though should not be) be off by a COUPLE (and I say that sarcastically I dont think it should) centimeters at most should be fabricated by anyone short of a professional shop. Best case scenario your alignment wont line up and the next guy you try to sell the truck to will just sigh and shake his head as he walks away.

But if it is worth it to save a few hundred bucks to endanger your safety and the saftey of everyone else on the road meh.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I'm not sure that any aspect of the suspension, even one that in theory COULD (possibly maybe though should not be) be off by a COUPLE (and I say that sarcastically I dont think it should) centimeters at most should be fabricated by anyone short of a professional shop. Best case scenario your alignment wont line up and the next guy you try to sell the truck to will just sigh and shake his head as he walks away.

But if it is worth it to save a few hundred bucks to endanger your safety and the saftey of everyone else on the road meh.
You are so right!! We should only buy bolt on parts and let a qualified shops install them!!! :twak:twak MODS,,,,Please delete this site, it is no longer needed then....:histerica:histerica

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
now i dont know about all the wonderful fabricators on this site but i know i, as a civil engineering student, architecture student, and custom carpenter know how to properly measure and calculate dimensions/angles before i cut and weld. also most of the guys who make parts for a living got their start in a garage somewhere so i dunno maybe its just me, but i think i could handle this with some good steel plate, some dom, jonny joints, and my band saw grinder, welder, caliperts and some thought.

o yea templates...cardboard is your friend, so is a tape measure.

sorry but you really must have not looked around here much to doubt the fab abilites of most of our members. and my bronco is almost stock,,,because i have no free time, hell its 350 am and im still up doin work

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Damn the nay-sayers!

*edit* these are not my pics. These were made by a fellow on a Ranger/BII site I used to frequent. I built a set like these for my Ranger and had zero ill effects to the steering etc. I used DOM instead of the square tubing and boxed the ends but, the buid is pretty much the same. I see no reason a set couldnt be fabbed for a FSB just as easily.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I'd think you could make a set for around $150 if you didnt have any material laying around
Or a welder, die grinder, chop saw, clamps....

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Couple things I see with time spent doing this:

1) the TTB arm at the axle end is bolted to the axle, no bushings like a solid axle C bushing, oh and then if you have cage arms, you also have bushings from the cast C to the arm. This design has no bushing, I guess for offroad use that may be OK, but it's going to transmit alot of vibration and shocks into the frame.
2) In order for this to be semi useful he's going to need longer shocks and coils, and softer ones than the standard TTB.
3) if he's going to do this hopefully he ditches all the teeny weeny BII TTB stuff and does some kind of explorer or bronco TTB swap.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i think he isdoing a d44 ttb swap.. but build these for the bii front origionaly...

i see no reason why a mildly decent fabricator couldnt easily make these.. you dont have to be anywhere near pro...

shado im confused.. origionally the ttb front onlu has the rear bushing.. if you kept the bushing mount you wouldnt be changing much in the way of ride comfort.. i can see the heim changing comfort a bit

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
You are so right!! We should only buy bolt on parts and let a qualified shops install them!!! :twak:twak MODS,,,,Please delete this site, it is no longer needed then....:histerica:histerica
Sigh, look up negligence in a law dictionary. I would really like to get into more detail but everytime I bring up something legal on the forum I am told to be quite. Point is you build and install it and then it breaks and you run into a bus full of second grade orphans it's your fault. Whether you wanna spend an extra 300 bucks to avoid the liability or not is your decision.

like a shop would do anything different than a good welder could?
See above.

now i dont know about all the wonderful fabricators on this site but i know i, as a civil engineering student, architecture student, and custom carpenter know how to properly measure and calculate dimensions/angles before i cut and weld. also most of the guys who make parts for a living got their start in a garage somewhere so i dunno maybe its just me, but i think i could handle this with some good steel plate, some dom, jonny joints, and my band saw grinder, welder, caliperts and some thought.

o yea templates...cardboard is your friend, so is a tape measure.

sorry but you really must have not looked around here much to doubt the fab abilites of most of our members. and my bronco is almost stock,,,because i have no free time, hell its 350 am and im still up doin work
Not everyone in the forum is so skilled, telling a newb to build his own extended radius arms is like sticking a badger in a room with an etch-a-sketch and a bucket of fish oil and telling them to make an atomic bomb. And it still does not negate my negligence point.

Is it really worth a few hundred dollars saved on extended radius arms compared to the thousands of dollars of damage you could cause that would be your personal fault?

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
okay, so it's all about pawning the blame off on somebody else, it's the american thing to do:usa:rofl: (it's a very litigous society we live in now)
but you're still going to catch hell and possibly be found liable because you have non standard parts installed on your vehicle.

he's not telling anyone to do anything it's merely a suggestion, you SHOULD know what you're capable of. for example i'm capable of fixing most everthing that goes wrong on my truck, i cannot weld worth a damn though, (i know my limitations). i also have friends who don't know much at all about cars so i spent part of yesterday working on his XJ he was amazed at how fast and confident i was at changing parts while he was kinda freaking out about the thought of having to do it.

it's all about knowing your limitations and knowing when to call in the pro's, i've noticed there are plenty of very capable welders on here

1 - 20 of 34 Posts