Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Aside from the fact that you have a FE in a truck that is at least 10 years too new for it to be factory, the short answer is yes.

I have to assume though, that if someone went through the trouble to swap a FE in, then it must be built to the nuts, 'cause I can't see any other reason for it to get swapped in. If this is the case, a C6 is still a great trans, but you may need to spend a fair amount to get a built trans. The C6 can be built to handle gobs of power. I run a stock one behind my EFI 460, and it does fine...

BTW, for FE blocks, you are not going to have a lot of options, 4spd NP435, maybe a T18, or the C6. All good trans, but no OD trans has that bellhousing.

Later,
Jason

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't the 360's, 390's, and 428's have a unique bolt pattern on the bell housing? I remember a few years ago trying to put a C6 out of a 79 F-250 with a 400 into a 73 with a 390 (the 73 has a bad C6 in it) and the bell housings were different...

·
Registered
955 Posts
BTW, for FE blocks, you are not going to have a lot of options, 4spd NP435, maybe a T18, or the C6. All good trans, but no OD trans has that bellhousing.
Don't the 360's, 390's, and 428's have a unique bolt pattern on the bell housing? I remember a few years ago trying to put a C6 out of a 79 F-250 with a 400 into a 73 with a 390 (the 73 has a bad C6 in it) and the bell housings were different...
You are correct sir, thus my post above. Not a lot of FE trans options. Might be some 2wd car stuff though? I don't know.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
i think back in those days the 390 was mostly paired up to a cruis-a-matic trans. i owned a 64 galaxie xl convertible thunderbird 390 and a 66 merc. monterey breezeway window 390, both had the cruis-a-matic. it was a good combo.god i wish i could find cars like those now, i paid $ 50.00 for the merc. and $ 300.00 for the galaxie. both were rough but they drove down the road.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,860 Posts
a good stout rebuild of that C6 shouldnt be more then $800 i have heard

·
Registered
904 Posts
rebuilding a C6 should cost a lot less than $800, you are beginning to get within range of an E4OD biuld at that point.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
rebuilding a C6 should cost a lot less than $800, you are beginning to get within range of an E4OD biuld at that point.
A good C6 rebuild with Kevlar bands, good clutches, a shift upgrade and the super R6 servo upgrade, along with a few oiling mods (our standard 'package' and not inclusive a torque convertor), will run around 800-850. An E4OD rebuild around here starts at 1200 and quickly hits 2 grand....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts