Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just got a complete 460 and C6 running and in good shape... It's not going in my bronco (I'm happy with it) but it is going in my '65 galaxie. The question is about heads, this is a 1977 motor out of a ranchero so I've been reading up about the d0ve heads and all the stuff about porting them and whatnot. My question is, what is the difference between porting the 1977 smog heads that I've got and buying a set of d0ve heads to port?

In essence, I'm asking why I need to buy other heads just to have work done on them. Seems like I came across the fact that they have larger combustion chambers in them so compression will be affected, but doesn't that also mean that if my compression is a little lower I can run a more advanced timing?

I'm pretty handy with engines but I'm a little confused as to why I can't use these stock heads to make an engine. I'm not looking for a 500hp hoss because I don't want to worry about my drivetrain needing upgraded, but I would like to get some fairly impressive torque and HP numbers. and get out of it as cheap as possible.

·
Banned
906 Posts
460ford.com/429-460.com is a good place to go. Them guys know alot about them engines. I got a 460 in my 79 F150 4X4.

I have D3VE heads.

If I were you, I would get the D3VE heads or D0VE heads.

More compression with the stock D0VE heads and you can port em out and get more. These are costly usually and sometimes hard to find.

D3VE has good compression deals and they are commonly found.

Get rid of the D2VE heads and yer later heads.

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
Both types of heads need help on the exhaust side to flow. If you're running a mild cam and pump gas you don't need to do too much besides a gasket match and grind off the thermactor bosses. D3VE's work fine, D0VE C heads are an improvement with the higher CR. For less than the cost of the heads, rocker arms, pushrods, etc to run D0VE C heads you could just get a set of flat top pistons and run the D3VE heads and get the CR too. Have fun, it sounds like a cool project.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both types of heads need help on the exhaust side to flow. If you're running a mild cam and pump gas you don't need to do too much besides a gasket match and grind off the thermactor bosses. D3VE's work fine, D0VE C heads are an improvement with the higher CR. For less than the cost of the heads, rocker arms, pushrods, etc to run D0VE C heads you could just get a set of flat top pistons and run the D3VE heads and get the CR too. Have fun, it sounds like a cool project.
that's what I was thinking as well, seems like I could port mine and get some flat top or even domed pistons to reduce the combustion chamber. Like I said, I'm not looking to build a 5 thousand dollar monster here, just something to give the old galaxie a little oompf.

I've done quite a few restorations here in my shop, but i've always just used the stock drivetrain due to cost issues (i'm poor as hell). I got this engine off of a really cool guy who delivered it to my door for $100 bucks, he even threw in a new holley 650 with it. The guy has a thing for galaxies and just wanted to help out a fellow galaxie builder, pretty nice of him.

On a side note, does anyone know off the top of their heads what a C6 and ford 9 inch rear end would be "good" for as far as HP and torque? I don't want to get into beefing up transmissions and rear ends to handle an engine I built...

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 9" and C6 should be fine for a mild 460. No need to do anything there.
that's what I was hoping!!! I figured the C6 could handle a pretty good jolt, and I know the 9 inch is a hoss.

I've got the D3VE heads which aren't the greatest but aren't the worst either. I figure with some flat top or domed pistons it ought to get on up there in compression. Then some porting (I'll try a home job) on the heads, timing gear, re-curved distributor, and a cam. Sounds like I ought to get out of this for around $1000 dollars. I'm setting the budget for this engine at $1500 tops since I've still got to pay for the interior to be done. I wish I was worth a $HIT with upholstery, all the cars I've built I have done everything but the upholstery myself, although I think I found a fella who charges reasonable prices out of atlanta.... The galaxie is going to be so far from stock I don't care about interior as long as it looks nice. Should be a badass ride when I'm done!!!

Oh yeah, and just to make you guys cuss me since I haven't received a good cussing in a while... I'm scrapping the 9 inch idea, fabbing up some mounts and going with a toyota supra rear end... :goodfinge I've never put one in a muscle car, but have been very interested to see what happens. I know for a fact the stock supra rears can take 800 HP before they give out, so I'm sure I'll be good. I just really want to make a muscle car with 4 wheel independent suspension...

·
Banned
906 Posts
IF yer aiming for alot of HOSSES AND TORQUE.

I recommend upgrading to a Dana 60 and 14 bolt rear end.

If yer sticking with the Dana 44, get aftermarket axles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts