Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was preparing the 460 for a new intake manifold and decided it would be a good time to take the valve covers off, paint them up and put new gaskets on also.

When I opened the valve covers I found a surprise!

Some of the rockers and push rods have some rust on them. This tells me at some point this engine probably sat in a field some place and didn't run for an extended period of time.

So to be safe and since I am there I went ahead and ordered a new set of push rods. I think I can clean the rockers arms up. Everything was functioning correctly.

Anything else I SHOULD check while I have it opened up?

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
pics not showing up

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How long has it been since that motor was run?
I drove the truck yesterday before I started taking it apart. I have probably put 1500 miles on it in the last 2 months since I bought the bronco.

I haven't noticed any noise from the valves and by sight none of the rods look bent. But once I see something that isn't right I have to fix it.

I installed new MSD Atomic EFI, when doing so I realized at some point someone had broken a bolt off of the old exhaust temperature sensor to the left of the carb inlet. (Which was causing a horrible exhaust leak) So I managed to break the second bolt trying to repair it. Seemed like an excellent time to replace the manifold with a better one. So I ordered a new Edelbrock 2166 performer dual plane.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
Damn that valve train looks really dry. So does the head.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I believe the aperture you are referring to as a temp sensor, is actually where part of the OE choke mechanism is mounted.

I see oil on top of a valvespring retainer. I did notice how clean the top of the head is. Either a well maintained motor, or low mileage, IMO.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes after you mentioned that I looked it up. That is the choke tube abs not a temp sensor.

All the rockers had oil on them. My guess from the paint and permatex that at some point this 460 was rebuilt. Then sat in this bronco for an extended time not running. That would explain the rust on the valve train and the honey in the ignition module.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up replacing 4 push rods and getting everything back together.

It turned out awesome! And is running like a new engine, just to adjust the timing just a little and get it out for test drive.

·
Registered
205 Posts
U may want to pull ur breather from ur valve cover and make sure oils going up to the rocker which I'm sure it is but wouldn't hurt to check

1 - 13 of 13 Posts