Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there are quite a few of these around, air ride drop deck bus. the front axles could be aquired quite cheap, they are mounted in these vans with a 4 link type setup + a panhard bar. now for my questions, has anyone tried to use this in a swap? anyone have an idea what ratio might these axles contain? these axles dont seem to have hubs that could be disengaged.... any ideas...just a thought... i'll try to get pics of it tomorrow. i think i might be able to get these axles for next to nothing

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
I doubt it's 4x4, I've never seen a 4x4 bus and if it doesnt have lock outs it's probably 2wd

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Yep..450 E-vans with 4x4. I see plenty of 'em every month..every time I hit the airport. Been wondering the same thing about how usefull those front axles would be ...they sure look beefy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dude its definetly 4x4, i saw it with my own eyes.... lots of them up here in Canada

·
TTB for short
2,189 Posts
well if its a quigly conversion then it's just a dana 60... but I think the axle you are talking about is on a "low deck" bus that is actually front wheel drive (for clearance issues)

i saw one of these at a salvage auction, it was an "ELF" brand E-450 and had what looked like a dana 80 front steering axle

hey man if you can get any sort of information on the axle they use I wan one that thing is huge:toothless

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1994-Ford-ELF-16-Pass-Bus-Church-Handicap-Wheelchair_W0QQitemZ4592786791QQcategoryZ6728QQcmdZViewItem check this out

·
TTB for short
2,189 Posts
taken from general coach america's website
CHASSIS SPECIFICATIONS

The ELF 122 H.D. Transit Bus is built utilizing a semi monocoque steel bus body with a front wheel drive power module. Components and design features include:

FRONT AXLE
Carraro H.S. 6.10 front drive with a design load rating of 7500 lbs. and a standard gear ratio of 5.13:1.

REAR AXLE
Trailing arm independent with a load rating of 10,000 lbs.

FRONT SUSPENSION
Heavy duty coil springs w/stabilizer bar and shock absorbers.

REAR SUSPENSION
Self levelling w/air springs and shock absorbers.

STEERING
Hydraulic powered Ford Motor Company OEM.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow...thanks for researching that, i couldnt find anything about it. i guess i wasnt looking hard enough. So, does anyone know if this could be a likely candidate... hehehe 5.13:1 hehehe.... and i stand corrected its not 4x4 its front wheel drive :O

·
Registered
204 Posts
looking under the dana site, its got a 70 rear for a 02 e-450. doesnt say anything about the front axle so that must mean its not a dana front axle.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i searched for info on carraro axles... all i can find is ag stuff or heavy equipment stuff... maybe its a dana axle with mods and carraro's name on it.... ill get pics and measurments as soon as possible. maybe it might have bill of material number on it still if its a dana axle. the guy that owned the yard i was at, thought that it looked like a 60 also.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Bigtime said:
i searched for info on carraro axles... all i can find is ag stuff or heavy equipment stuff... maybe its a dana axle with mods and carraro's name on it.... ill get pics and measurments as soon as possible. maybe it might have bill of material number on it still if its a dana axle. the guy that owned the yard i was at, thought that it looked like a 60 also.
Get pics and look for the BOM.

·
TTB for short
2,189 Posts
whatever it is it's HUGE

i just meant its like a dana 80 size... it looks like no Axle i've ever seen before

If it were me I'd use that in the front and a narrowed Dana 135 in the back.... Now that's some running gear!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, i have some pics. Although i went to the transit dispatch first and got some pics of a carraro axle and wow are those things huge and i went to the yard and got some pics of my "suspected d60". I am not really sure how to post pics so i added them to my "garage"

pls take a look and tell me what you think, the carraro axle is rediculous. the picture of the wheel is what i thought was the 60's hub. i was pressed for time but if you want more pics i can get them this week

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Bigtime said:
wow...thanks for researching that, i couldnt find anything about it. i guess i wasnt looking hard enough. So, does anyone know if this could be a likely candidate... hehehe 5.13:1 hehehe.... and i stand corrected its not 4x4 its front wheel drive :O
LOL..front wheel drive only?..no kidding?! They got Budd wheels and all, so I just assumed the rear wheels drove too..:thumbup Well I knew dang well the front did..cuz you could see the massive dif hangin there.

In any event ..that is some SERIOUS steerable axle iron.

·
Registered
606 Posts
alrighty i kind a confused by the pictures i assume the one with drive slugs, and the numbers in yellow on the diff, and closed knuckles is the carro or whatever, but the axle you referenced as a 60 has some wierd looking stuff on it? is suspected meaning you suspect you are gonna get it or suspected that is a 60?

i looks like a 60 from the shafts, and diff cover but the weird balljoint knuckles, and inner c's, are very weird along with it having coils, what the hell is that thing out of?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
they are both from the ford "elf" van bus things. i am having a hard time trying to find a d60 front, i thought that i could maybe use this one. Not to mention it surely has a tall gear ratio. then i could get a sterling or d60 rear end which are easy to find and just match the ratio to the front axle. I am very competent fabricator and i think that with the unique 4 link style mounts will make my work easier

1 - 20 of 29 Posts