Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a gear swap on a 8.8 rear.

when I was installing my carrier, i broke the stock thick carrier shim!

That shim was wide enough to be covered by the carrier main caps so it could not come out.

now to get the correct thickness, I had to stack a bunch of shims.

The way I see it, there is nothing holding the shims back into their pocket now, should I be worried?

·
Registered
370 Posts
...I would use the correct shim, no I don't think they will fall out due to preload of the carrier, bearing cap covering the majority of the shims and the fact there will be an axle running through the center of them.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,061 Posts
The way I see it, there is nothing holding the shims back into their pocket now, should I be worried?
...I would use the correct shim, no I don't think they will fall out due to preload of the carrier, bearing cap covering the majority of the shims and the fact there will be an axle running through the center of them.
:stupid

·
Cleaning the trails
931 Posts
I am doing a gear swap on a 8.8 rear.

when I was installing my carrier, i broke the stock thick carrier shim!

That shim was wide enough to be covered by the carrier main caps so it could not come out.

now to get the correct thickness, I had to stack a bunch of shims.

Same thing happend on mine. That cast iron didn't hold up to well. Just use the mic to get the correct thickness and good to go. Have over 20K since doing it had no issues

·
Registered
472 Posts
Having the factory (machined-fit) spacer break is quite common. The major reason it worked before is because the factory spreads the opening of the housing a hair before final ass'y. Doing so allows the carrier to be fitted/installed without any beating and banging. And yeah, there is such a tool.....It's called a " case spreader" in my neck of the woods.
Ever wondered why Chevies, Dodges and 8.8 Fords have that big blind hole on either side of the inspection cover, but 9" Fords don't? .......them two big holes is where the pushing-pegs on the case spreader sits.

So there that is.

DGW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts