Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if got a 96 bronco with a ford 8.8 the tag says lsd 3.55 i know 3.55 is the gear ratio and thought lsd was limited slip but i oped it up and its not i was wondering if i could get rid of the side gears and the spider gear and buy a clutch kit for an 8.8 and put that in but wasnt shure if it was compatible i just want to get better traction when off roading but i dive the truck 50 miles a day so dont want to weld the spiders or get a mini spool or anything like that

·
Registered
156 Posts
It wont work if you have an open carrier. Have you thought about getting a lunchbox locker? I can sell you an original posi-lock carrrier for cheep if youd like, but it does need a new clutch kit, and maybe the spider gears too.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,063 Posts
The tag on the axle won't say "LSD", instead it'll read 3L55 if its a trac lock carrier. Also, inside the drivers door is a manufacture tag. There is an axle code. 19 means open carrier, H9 means trac lock LS. Post a pic of your axle internals.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes i did, but i was goin to try and find the trac-lok set up and i found a 3 quarter ton 8.8 that is posi i might just switch over to ,but if i dont ill deffinatly be intrested. what is wrong with the spider gears? and could i reuse my spider gears

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i found the door code and its 19. and can't post a pic its back together so i can get to school ,but its an open diff there is no clutches or anything. its just got the 2 side gears and the 2 spider gears

·
Registered
156 Posts
The spider gears have a couple of chips on them, i think they chipped because some of the tabs that hold the clutches broke off and probably got caught in them. It still worked pretty darn good though, no noise ect.. Took it off cause im installing an aussie locker and need an open carrier. I highly doubt the open spider gears will work on the posi, i think they are a different diameter. Will let you know when i receive my new open carrier. Should be in next week. Would of been nice just to trade!

·
Registered
156 Posts
By the way if you had this S shaped sping when you opened it, it is a posi. Then on the side where it has a notch, those tabs you see are the clutches.

·
AKA: Butthead
2,858 Posts
The tag...'ll read 3L55 if its a trac lock carrier. Also, inside the drivers
door is a manufacture tag. There is an axle code. 19 means open carrier,
H9 means trac lock LS. Post a pic of your axle internals.
x2
If it has a "letter+number" (like H9) it's limited slip.
That's supposed to go for all Fords. :)

BTW, cool picture Daniel! :)

My plan is to add some Ford Racing carbon-discs to my 3L55 8.8.
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/Bronco3L55.jpg

Alvin in AZ

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
there hard to find there not common at all. it was a special oder ,and there 6 lug not 8 my mistake. i just pulled it apart and its a 373 gear and a trac lok. and another qestion my bronco is a 96 with a 351 and and its on 33's with a 3.55 gear what work best for that sixe tire? i was thinking 373 or 410>

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I would also like to see this 3/4 ton 8.8" rear axle. What year(s) were they used?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
there is a 3/4 ton 8.8 its an 8 lug 8.8 but i didnt belive it eather ill try and upload a pic
Someone's yangin' your chain or they just don't know their sh*t. More than likey a semi-float Sterling (c-clip Sterling).

·
AKA: Butthead
2,858 Posts
They're hard to find they're not common at all.
It was a special order ,and they're 6 lug not 8 my mistake.
I just pulled it apart and its a 373 gear and a trac lok.
Guys, did Ford ever use 6 lug on anything?

And yeah, 8 lug floating axles with a flimsy little 8.8 in between?
Don't sound like a good idea to me, sounds like a Chevy idea. ;)

and another qestion my bronco is a 96 with a 351 and and its on 33's with
a 3.55 gear what work best for that sixe tire? i was thinking 373 or 410>
Which transmission? :)
Care about fuel mileage at all? :)
Do a lot of highway driving with your Bronco or what?

4.10+33" I'd say off hand.

If you care about MPG and do a lot of highway, go 3.73 with 33" tires.
Actually that was my plan but couldn't find 33" quiet/highway tires.
So, settled for 31.5" tires and 3.55. (265/75R-16E's on 8" wheels)

Things are kinda far apart out here. ;)

Butthead in AZ

·
Registered
805 Posts
New Ford half tons are 6-lug. And some of them do have an 8.8". Its not a 3/4ton axle though.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,063 Posts
By the way if you had this S shaped sping when you opened it, it is a posi. Then on the side where it has a notch, those tabs you see are the clutches.
I just wanted to comment on this picture since the OP has a 96.

Rear axles up to 94 will have the clutches where you can see them, like in the picture above. In 95, they changed the design so that the clutches have smaller ears. Here is a clutch from 95 (small ear), and a clutch from 94 (large ear)

and the opening for the clutches from 95's and I'm sure 96's too, looks like this......

actually encased within the carrier.

:thumbup

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
umm i drive about 50 miles a day to school and have to do about 60 mph in some places. and i get about 12 mpg now ,and it an 340d trans...... and theres no s clip or cluches and the 8.8 was an 03 and it got disk brakes with drum e brake

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dont mean to thread-jack i just checked my door code and realized I have an open carrier- is it worth it to buy a LSD for light wheeling and better traction in snow\ice\sand etc?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts