Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one thought about swapping one of these in over a 9"? From what i read they are pretty comparable to a dana 60 without all the weight and round clearance comparable to a 9". I havent seen any goodies lie a selectable locker or anything for them yet though.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I thought about it until i realized that my front would be 5 on 5.5 and the rear would be 5 on 135mm
You would want to replace the axles with some good cromo shafts anyway, so you could just order the pattern you need. I'm curious if some of the guys running Expeditions have kept the 9.75's. There isn't a floater version is there?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I was wondering about this. Keep this tread going until some of the guys that know this stuff chime in.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
i have one in my 04 F150. pattern is 6x135mm. its an ok axle but i dont think it has better clearance than my D 70 on the bronco. The 9.75 is pretty big. there is not much for aftermarket support compared to the 10.25. only a few LS and the full Detroit. and im not sure on gears avail yet? the pro is the disk brakes are real good. now i know the flaming will start but....i do not care if i have mixed lug patterns on a truck, sorry people put too much thought on that. im in the woods and a blow a tire of which i dont have a spare for, id ride it flat all the way out. i dont even have a spare on the play toys. and they are mostly running about flat A/P anyway. let the flaming begin!!

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,711 Posts
fourwheeler mag did a write up on the 9.75 a couple months ago. i might see if i can find what issue it is

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats where I got the idea from, just didn't really know if there were any aftermarket stuff for it lik selectable lockers, and if anyone had alrady done it here.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
thats where I got the idea from, just didn't really know if there were any aftermarket stuff for it lik selectable lockers, and if anyone had alrady done it here.
There isn't, which is why I bagged that idea. Especially when I had a line on a D60FF and found out about how to 8 lug a front solid 44 (really not a biggy). The 60FF already had discs, and has a TON of aftermarket support.

I'd also want to know more about the 9.75 anyway...does it use the thin tubing like an 8.8? Does it only use 3 plug welds per side like the 8.8?

And whoever asked, no, there is no 9.75 FF version, you go up to 10.25 at that point.

I can't imagine this axle would have any better clearance than a D60, and likely is not as smooth underneath. Once you take the grinder (no shaving needed) to the 60 it's within 1/4" of clearance of an 8.8 at which point who cares. The Dana 60 with discs is really not that heavy of an axle. I estimated when the 8.8 was pulled, the 60 was apx. 30 lbs heavier (but comparing drum 8.8 with truss to 60 with discs/no truss).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts