Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Bronco, 4.9L, C6, 9", 44 TTB, 3.54 Gears
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a complete 9" this weekend for the Bronco. Guy said it was out of an 84' Bronco. This thing has spent its whole life in Pennsylvania so the tag is really hard to read. I tore it all down, pulled the shafts, and noticed some of the splines were pretty worn, so I'm just going to replace them. Log onto Rock Auto and find a Dana Spicer shaft, but it says this: DANA 2022591 {#D6TZ4234A} SVL; Length: 31.83"; Spline: 31 Info
Rear; For Axle Stamped WDM-CC1/CF/CF1/CL/DB/DB1/DD; with 9.00 IN Diameter Ring Gear

My axle tag, what I think is, WFE BK2 3M20 L50 9 319D...those are the numbers I think I can read.

Any of you a Ford 9" glossary and know if those Dana shafts will fit mine? From the outside of the hub, my shafts measure 32" and are 31 spline. This is my first 9" and it's going into a vehicle that won't be beat on off road, so no need for RCV axles or something else for abuse.

I posted this on another forum, some of you Bronco gurus might know what's up with this. When I search how to read the tag, it basically says it's from a 1973 F-100...but I found one thing that confirmed it was from an 80's Bronco. It makes no sense.

Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,429 Posts
I didn't see your exact tag info on here, but maybe you got a letter wrong or the list is incomplete.

I know there should be a number before the L50 on your tag as that's the gear ratio and the L designates that it's a limited slip. I'm assuming a 3.50 ratio and that tag would say 3L50

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
522 Posts
How does a Dana 44 get mixed with a ford 9??
currie enterprises has been specialized in ford 9 for decades. That’s where I would go

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How does a Dana 44 get mixed with a ford 9??
currie enterprises has been specialized in ford 9 for decades. That’s where I would go
What do you mean with your first sentence?

I'm not paying a premium for Currie axle shafts and parts. I don't need them. Just want to find a suitable stock replacement.

Just went to Currie's site. Zero help.

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,429 Posts
Well, for what it's worth, I looked up both my 78 Bronco and my 77 F100 (both 9" rears) on rockauto and they only list 32" axles for both, but when I look up my 77 F150 (9" as well) it lists a 32" axle option along with the same 31.83" axle you posted. So... I dunno! I've never replaced mine.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, for what it's worth, I looked up both my 78 Bronco and my 77 F100 (both 9" rears) on rockauto and they only list 32" axles for both, but when I look up my 77 F150 (9" as well) it lists a 32" axle option along with the same 31.83" axle you posted. So... I dunno! I've never replaced mine.
I went to Randy's Ring and Pinion and it brought up a USA standard axle shaft that I saw on Rock Auto. Was hoping to rebuild this axle on the cheap, but looks like it's about $300 in two new shafts. Sucks.

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
1,295 Posts
Dana makes shafts and gears for a 9”, they are legitimate.
I’ve never run Dana brand shafts, but I’ve run alloy USA shafts and USA standard with no complaints. I think the 31.83” vs 32” is just how they measure them.
Got pictures of the wear on your old shafts?

Reactions: canuckistan97

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dana makes shafts and gears for a 9”, they are legitimate.
I’ve never run Dana brand shafts, but I’ve run alloy USA shafts and USA standard with no complaints. I think the 31.83” vs 32” is just how they measure them.
Got pictures of the wear on your old shafts?
Not at the moment. They'd suffice for spares to get someone off the trail in a pinch, or to run in a mud truck. I want this to be a bit more reliable, and with the axle sitting on the floor...might as well get her all fixed up right.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,736 Posts
I agree on likely jsut the measurement error fo 2 different people doing it. There is enough engagement there that likely will not matter so much (in this application).
Bronco Grave Yard has some decent shafts for the money. I have used the same set in my 78, and they are now in my 92 (yes 9" swap)
There shaft seals leaked on me though, I'd get the shafts invidually, then buy the SET20 bearings & seals from somewhere else. I like the SKF's from Napa, you wil know the right ones as they are more expensive and also have a blue seal.

On the what it came from, You can tell by physically counting the shafts, then also check the bearing ends and measure the pattern of the retainer bolts and also their size. Not All F-150's before (especially for 80) got a 31 spline 9" axle. These trucks are all old enough I feel critical to check as who knows what has been swapped.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree on likely jsut the measurement error fo 2 different people doing it. There is enough engagement there that likely will not matter so much (in this application).
Bronco Grave Yard has some decent shafts for the money. I have used the same set in my 78, and they are now in my 92 (yes 9" swap)
There shaft seals leaked on me though, I'd get the shafts invidually, then buy the SET20 bearings & seals from somewhere else. I like the SKF's from Napa, you wil know the right ones as they are more expensive and also have a blue seal.

On the what it came from, You can tell by physically counting the shafts, then also check the bearing ends and measure the pattern of the retainer bolts and also their size. Not All F-150's before (especially for 80) got a 31 spline 9" axle. These trucks are all old enough I feel critical to check as who knows what has been swapped.
Oh snap! Thanks for the link. I didn't even think of checking the graveyard. If I was looking to hammer this thing offroad, dropping $150+ on a shaft would be fine. But it's a pavement princess other than some dirt roads.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,736 Posts
I have ran those shafts I listed in my big block 78 with a spool and 35's, mostly off road, but also on the street. 0 Issues. They have yet to have any issues in my 92 which gets ran hard on the road. Very minimal wear at the splines when I removed them from my 78 (swapped to 35 spline shafts).
They are the least expensive but of decent quality I could find when I was looking. I had to replace a set due to wear from the seals and leaking oil. If still not in the budget I would look for a good set of stock used ones, They are out there. Especially the older ones, they seem to have been made from better steel and last longer from my experience.

Reactions: Flesh Eater

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have ran those shafts I listed in my big block 78 with a spool and 35's, mostly off road, but also on the street. 0 Issues. They have yet to have any issues in my 92 which gets ran hard on the road. Very minimal wear at the splines when I removed them from my 78 (swapped to 35 spline shafts).
They are the least expensive but of decent quality I could find when I was looking. I had to replace a set due to wear from the seals and leaking oil. If still not in the budget I would look for a good set of stock used ones, They are out there. Especially the older ones, they seem to have been made from better steel and last longer from my experience.
Their HD axles are only about $50 more with a 10 year warranty.

I "MIGHT" have to start posting parts I'm taking off for sale to fund this project. Haha!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
My housing is rusted on some spots of the axle tubes and in the housing. Anyone think I should worry about it? The axle sat under the Bronco it came from for 10 years without moving. The bottom side of the axle housing is spotless. The top not so much.

This is in reference to the internals, not the outside, obviously.

·
Super Moderator
5,167 Posts
These are the axle shafts I went with in mine. They also have the 31.83" measurement. And yeah, you have a lot of spline engagement, so 0.17" (about 5/32") isn't going to matter much. They're made of 1541H alloy, which from what I've read is about 30% stronger than the stock axles.

However, it does look like the axles linked above also come with studs and bearings, which is nice. Not sure what they're made out of though.

I'd also suggest upgrading the retainer plates. These are what I used:

You'll have to figure out your bolt spacing to get the proper ones.

The nice thing with those is that you don't have to press the bearings on and off to get the retainer plate off the axle.

As for the rust, where is it exactly?
Mine had rust inside due to sitting for 10 years. The parts under the fluid stayed fresh, but everything above started to rust.

I just used a wire wheel and cleaned it all up. From here on out, it'll get sprayed with gear oil almost daily, so it shouldn't ever rust again.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
These are the axle shafts I went with in mine. They also have the 31.83" measurement. And yeah, you have a lot of spline engagement, so 0.17" (about 5/32") isn't going to matter much. They're made of 1541H alloy, which from what I've read is about 30% stronger than the stock axles.

However, it does look like the axles linked above also come with studs and bearings, which is nice. Not sure what they're made out of though.

I'd also suggest upgrading the retainer plates. These are what I used:

You'll have to figure out your bolt spacing to get the proper ones.

View attachment 167098

The nice thing with those is that you don't have to press the bearings on and off to get the retainer plate off the axle.

As for the rust, where is it exactly?
Mine had rust inside due to sitting for 10 years. The parts under the fluid stayed fresh, but everything above started to rust.

I just used a wire wheel and cleaned it all up. From here on out, it'll get sprayed with gear oil almost daily, so it shouldn't ever rust again.
I'm probably going to go with axle shafts and retainers from JBG.

My rust is on the inside of the tubes. I'm going to go and get pipe plugs from a hardware store, and fill the entire inside of the housing with vinegar. I'll let it soak for a day or two, and then dump it out. As for the exterior, I might take my time and just paint it all up with Chassis Saver from Monstaliner.

·
Premium Member
92 Bronco, 408 Stroker, 6R80, 4" lift, 9 inch, ARB lockers, 4.56 gears, Bassani exhaust
803 Posts
I put the pipe cleaner type wire brush that was about an inch in diameter on a drill bit extension. iI worked great. I also use motorcycle chain lube to coat bare metal that will be exposed for a while. iI has a clinging property to it that keeps it where you put it.

Reactions: canuckistan97
1 - 18 of 18 Posts