Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im getting my posi installed monday. so today i pulled the third member out. well i found that on the axles the seal behind the bearing is shot. so how do i replace it? do i have to have somebody press the bearing off and press it back on? and if the bearings get ruined do i have to replace the race along with the bearing? thanks!

·
Banned
9,179 Posts
If they're bad, the bearings have to be pressed off & on, but I think both races stay with them.

But this diagram makes it look like the seals can come out without pressing the bearings...

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the seal on mine is behind the bearing. that shows it in front.

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
Same here, the bearing has to be removed to replace the seal.

IMO--Replace the bearings when you replace the seals.

·
Banned
9,179 Posts
I don't get it - the seal's behind the bearing in that diagram, which means it'll slide off the axleshaft with the bearing still on the shaft. :confused:

It shows the axleshaft going thru the bearing retainer plate, then the bearing, then the retainer ring, then the seal. :shrug That means, when you pull the shaft (with the bearing plate, bearing, & retainer ring) out of the axle tube, the seal will still be in the tube, waiting to be pulled without messing with the bearing. I've only rebuilt one 9" and it was several years ago, so I don't remember specifically, but that's what that diagram shows.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I think the drawing is for ball bearings, NOT tapered roller bearings. Heavier axles use tapered rolller bearings instead of ball bearings. I have bought seal kits from NAPA and they included new seal, bearing and bearing retainer. They were unable to remove the bearing without damaging it, but the kit has a new one in it. Don't forget the axle retaining plate, be sure it is put on correctly. I can't remember if the kit included a new race (cup) or not.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i have the tapered bearings. i am going to have the place that is installing my posi install the seals. here is my newest problem. i cant find a gasket that will fit for the third member. all of them the holes dont line up. i have tried car quest, napa, lmc truck, auto zone. im going to try the ford dealer tommorow. if not i will cut my own.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
there was a post on pirates where someone found the right seals to put in on the 3rd member side of the bearings then just pack the outter bearing with grease like any other wheel bearing. listed parts numbers as well. but I am lazy and not in the mood to search for it. they charge alot to press bearings on and off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts