Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took apart my 9" rear and was surprised to find the left and right axle shafts are the same length. I am very new with this axle, but the reading I have done so far indicates the left and right are supposed to be different. Am I missing something? (Or is this really a Ford 9" from something else. It's supposedly a 1979 Bronco Ford 9")

The axle retainer plates are 2-3/8" x 3-1/2".
Axles are 31 spline.

I put the axles in the empty housing and took a picture.
http://andycraig.us/ford9/index.htm

Thanks from a n00b!
Andy

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
My 8.8 shafts were different lengths. I have seen different length 9" shafts but I couldn't tell if one was for the skinny EB and the other for a Fullsize. That I can't be sure of. But I have seen different lengths.

·
Administrator
22,853 Posts
I dont believe on the full size they are...when I replaced mine wasnt asked if left or right...and I still have the old ones and side by side the seem to be the same height.

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
welndmn said:
There are no rules for a 9 inch, some are some are not.
Exactly! I have 9" alloy axles in my 8.8 by using torino style housing ends. They are different lengths.

However, the 9" I've seen in fsb are equal length.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a 79' F-150 w/ 9" in the rear, I called Currie they my axles were same leangth (31 and something "). I also talked to guys from Moser and they said measure the leangth Ford has so many different variants, another thing since you have the 9" apart call one of the axle companies and talk to their Tech guys before buying they can walk you thru measurements so you know you are ordering the right axles. Be sure to tell them what kind of carrier you are lokking at using, that could change what alxe leangths you may need.

Jason

1 - 11 of 11 Posts