Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm a newb here and was wondering what you thought of a Bronco for a first car. It will be used to get back and forth from school and work. Right now I;m looking at a 1995 stock Bronco 4x4 with a 5.8L. We love Ford in my family and I love the Bronco. I live in Iowa so would it be good in the snow? Thanks and I love the site!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Well its 4x4, so that and some winter tires should help out. Also the 5.8 will give you plenty of power for anything you would want to do, it just won't get the gas mileage as a 4 banger car.

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,435 Posts
Great rig for your first vehicle. Great rig to teach yourself how to work on vcehicles. Will do great in snow (really depends on driver). Anything wrong with it? The 5.8 is the better motor than the 302 IMO so thats a plus.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Anything wrong with it? The 5.8 is the better motor than the 302 IMO so thats a plus.
Dang forgot to ask about that. :doh0715: I agree, the 351 is better than the 302.

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,435 Posts
Hey guys, I'm a newb here and was wondering what you thought of a Bronco for a first car. It will be used to get back and forth from school and work. Right now I;m looking at a 1995 stock Bronco 4x4 with a 5.8L. We love Ford in my family and I love the Bronco. I live in Iowa so would it be good in the snow? Thanks and I love the site!

Oh and dont call a Bronco a car ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys. The 5.8L has nothing wrong with it and runs really smooth. The miles on it is 117K, if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a little rust on the bottom inside of the drivers door, barley noticeable. Has a custom CD player, either a Kenwood or Pioneer, I dont remember. A/c, heat, etc. Cloth interior, one TINY rip in the seat. No stains that i could see, and the undercarriage looks nice. Its a Midwestern truck so there could be some rust I cant see. Trim is XLT. KBB lists price at $5400, so I'm sure I can negotiate the price a little.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
That's a great looking bronco. You might want to consider how many miles will you be driving monthly. With gas prices as high as they are, you may not be able to afford the gas, and would be better served with a front wheel drive car. If the roads are poor enough that you can't navigate with a front wheel drive, school will be closed, and you can take the day off from work. I don't know about Iowa, but here in NJ, the roads are usually clear the day after the storm.

If on the other hand, you won't put too many miles on it, then by all means... it is a great vehicle.

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
Yea it's going for premium price since the salt up there kills the body on the trucks. It all depends on what you want to pay. Here's one i found on the iowa craigslist. front bumper is somewhat bent, leather seats are ripped. But it's a XLT sport, which in its day was a loaded truck. http://fortdodge.craigslist.org/cto/2617627458.html Both trucks are e4od trans.

I'm going to warn you right now, don't plan on buying one of these trucks and taking it to the shop/dealership to be serviced, you're going to pay out the ass for labor and part markup. Most shops charge $85+ an hour for labor, plus shop supplies, and list price on the parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea it's going for premium price since the salt up there kills the body on the trucks. It all depends on what you want to pay. Here's one i found on the iowa craigslist. front bumper is somewhat bent, leather seats are ripped. But it's a XLT sport, which in its day was a loaded truck. http://fortdodge.craigslist.org/cto/2617627458.html Both trucks are e4od trans.

I'm going to warn you right now, don't plan on buying one of these trucks and taking it to the shop/dealership to be serviced, you're going to pay out the ass for labor and part markup. Most shops charge $85+ an hour for labor, plus shop supplies, and list price on the parts.

Dont worry about it being serviced, my dad and I do all of the work on our cars. We dont trust dealers enough anyways. that one you found on Craigslist isn't bad, I may have to take a look at it, thanks

·
Man of endless projects
9,492 Posts
i got an 88 as my first truck. i hated how loose the steering was and how 10mpg was a killing me without a job. but i eventally loved it soo much that i got my 96 and made my 88 the mudder it is now. even my friend loved my truck soo much that he got a 87 to be jsut like me. a 95 should be quite abit nicer tho as a first truck. how many miles are on it? that is kinda a high price even for a dealler i htink. id expect like 5000$ or so. i ogt my 96 in pretty decent shape for only $2700 but thats by owner. you will probalby learn pretty quickly how to fix the thing and you may run outta money fast cause parts do tent to wear out and even tho the dealler made it look clean, thats doesnt mean it isnt worn out. i never take stuff to a ford deallership to get worked on unless under warrenty. they want 450$ for a muffler on my moms 04 Expedition and thats not even including labor.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Broncos make great first vehicles, for all the reasons mentioned. Big, safe, reliable, easy to work on etc etc. Also as mentioned, the truck you are looking at has an E4OD transmission. Big and expensive to fix (probably the single most expensive component on the truck). That is the one thing you are going to want to start sticking a little cash aside right now to fix/replace when it goes out.

My feedback on the truck itself is that, depending on the area, it sounds like they are asking way too much for that rig. If you have cash and some patience, keep your eyes on CL. The dealeships like to ask premium prices for these trucks and just wait for a sucker to come along. The 2k you save buying from an owner will pay for the trans if you ever need to get it fixed.

When you get serious about buying, ask the owner/dealer if you can take the truck for a couple hours before you decide whether or not to buy. Then, pull codes on it, check the entire body for rust/body work. Use a magnet and check bottom of doors, quarter panels, tailgate etc etc. Take it to some dirt or gravel and put it in 4wd and see how it sounds/feels. Pull the trans dipstick and check the fluid. Is it red, does it smell burned? If you have time, pull the front wheels and check the brakes. While it is in the air, grab the sides of the tire and see if they wobble at all. Do the same with the top and bottom... If you really have the time, pull a compression check on it.

You and your dad sound like you already know you way around trucks and have an idea of what to check, but reminders never hurt :thumbup

·
Premium Member
4,797 Posts
That xlt sport on craigslist makes me think it's rust free because it still has the factory steps on it. Usually the hollow brackets on them are the first thing to rust out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts