Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like Ford is working on a way to improve the Bronco's safety for when a crash occurs and the doors are off.

Based on new patent filings, "a telescoping section would extend from the base of the A-pillar that would protect the occupant."

The telescoping sections would be in a retracted position during normal driving, and sensors would detect whether the doors are in place. If there is a crash, then an inflator would activate, causing the telescoping piece to deploy. The company says this extending section could be "plastic, metal, or any suitable material, including a combination thereof." The result would be a way to restrain occupants from falling out of the vehicle, and the airbags would deploy at the same time.

Ford Bronco Door Patent
Ford Bronco Door Patent
Ford Bronco Door Patent
Ford Bronco Door Patent
Ford Bronco Door Patent
Ford Bronco Door Patent
Ford Bronco Door Patent
Ford Bronco Door Patent

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Thumbs up for keeping us safe though vehicles are built less and less with owner serviceability or extended service life in mind. its like there are two departments battling at Ford. The team that wants to keep the new Bronco as off-road capable as possible and the team that screams don't run with scissors.

Those things look like they would be deployed using an explosive charge. Good look with a cost effective repair and hope they don't deploy in off-road conditions like the Chevy ZR2.

·
FSM Lifetime
2,133 Posts
There's another patent out there where the little arm is actually a tube, with a built-in airbag. I couldn't care less, but people nowadays seem to love their 5000 airbags and stability computers and all that bullshit.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
I hear it everyday at work.

"OMG how can I buy this three year old car without blind spot systems and nut sack airbags? I could die!"

We have vehicles with five plus cameras built in, front & rear sonar systems, and pre collision systems with automatic braking. All this and dipshits will still take the bumpers off in the parking lot and blame the truck.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear it everyday at work.

"OMG how can I buy this three year old car without blind spot systems and nut sack airbags? I could die!"

We have vehicles with five plus cameras built in, front & rear sonar systems, and pre collision systems with automatic braking. All this and dipshits will still take the bumpers off in the parking lot and blame the truck.
People rely on safety systems like blind spot warning way too much sometimes. Idiocy always finds a way to prevail sadly.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
741 Posts
I’d hate to have my arm inadvertently in the way as that thing blasts out into place!! My 84 has 0.0 aids for driving, I know how to drive and like my truck to respond to my input and not try to do anything by computer. Computers fail.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That's EXACTLY what I was thinking... how many people are going to totally lose an arm just because of this "safety" feature. It doesn't seem well thought out to me. I also can't see how that simple bar would keep you in the vehicle any better than the seat belt. Also if it's meant to help with side impacts there about zero percent chance it'll be able to deploy in time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts