Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a guy locally who says he is parting out a 351 crate motor thats 275 hp. i dont see that motor in the 01 catalog, nor is it on their website. Its from an 88 bronco with a serp belt. Im going to look at it now, to see what its like. he says its got 2000 miles or so on it.

How would I know whata motor it is, and what the specs are? Do crate motors have a numbers on them that I need to notate?

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
I know the Motorcraft long block I just bought has a metal identification plate on the side of it. Its about 2 x 3" and looks like an auto vin plate.
Edit: found a pic of it.

·
Yeah- I did it-SO WHAT !!
512 Posts
Ford Racing does still have a 250hp M6007-S58 engine at $2895.list!!! Alot of people I have come across consider even a "reman" engine a crate motor because it wasn't hand built for their vehicle.A guy tried to sell me one a while back on his cancelled Bronco project.It was bolted down down to a pallet with the label from a nearby machine shop,but was a"crate" motor to his understanding.Be cautious of this and find the engine specs.

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm, well, i didnt see that, but after looking at it, and what it appears to hve, it is this motor with the serpentine, instead of the V belts.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=5685

he wants 1200 for it, and the thing looks nearly new. It still has the paint around most of the gaskets, indicating it hasnt had the first oil change yet, and the heads are super clean. Even has ford motorsport headers on it. Not sure its a good deal or not tho. the ford site says 2800 bucks or so, but i want gt 40 heads and better intakes on it.

Is it better to just rebuild my own?

·
512 Posts
1200 is cool if ya feel comfortable with the engine and guy.Be good if its where ya could check compression and look at the plugs.I've always built my own stuff,and I've got a couple sets of the heads and a couple different intakes here.I'd wait for a few more opinions/advice,but I think I WOULD buy it and be done and git to ridin'.Besides a stock longblock is prolly 800-1000 exch. :thumbup

·
512 Posts
If you are gonna use GT40p's,they are NOT drilled for smog if thats an issue.Central Coast Mustang.com among others have them available drilled for it. The P's have funky headers(81Bronk36 has a set 4 sale),regular GT40 use standard headers.You'll prolly get the headers that are on it though.Just thinkin' in case you build it.

·
Past Bronco Owner
4,856 Posts
So Plug, what happened with it? Did you buy or pass?

·
Registered
96 Posts
rebuilt motors

hey guys in my experience most shops that rebuild motors use the crappiest components money can buy.not even close to oem or even nappa.this is even true with harley davidson stuff which i know first hand.what it comes down to is labor is the most expensive part of any rebuild usually if its a vehicle your gonna keep use the good stuff not the auto zone brake components with the "life time warrantee".regards shovelhead

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.