Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my first tech write up. and sorry no step by step pictures, just discovered the tech write ups today and i did this a few weeks ago. but on the 87-91 ford emblems, the colors are easily changed from the blue and chrome. the emblem itself sits in a chrome besel which bolts to the grille.

step 1: carefully pry the emblem off the chrome besel.

step 2: once the emblem is off, the letters are sunken into the oval, aswell as the chrome oval inside the oval. all it is is paint and glue. you have to strip the paint off, i used a variety of strippers and i scraped a lot of it off. i rushed so mine didnt come out perfect but if done properly you will have a completly clear ford emblem

step 3: mask off the ford lettering that is sunken into the plastic if you wish to not make the emblem all one color. the chrome besel the emblem sits in is a very nice metalicy chrome that shines really nice and looks great behind the emblem.

step 4: paint it any color you want, in any combo you want.

step 5: re attaching the emblem to the besel is easy, i used some super glue and it was fine.

the plastic will fog and scratch somewhat easily, so becareful when stripping it. im doing somewhat of a black out theme on my own bronco so i decided to paint it completly black and the ford lettering still stands out. i used a thin layer of metalic paint. the thin layer allows the chrome besel to shine thru a little giving the emblem some sparkle. and since the lettering is raised it looks great, and in all black in looks ghostly. i have an after picture of my truck after i painted the grille and headlight trim and emblem.

you can kinda see the emblem, its hard to see but its black on black. its basic, easy, and will add somethin custom to your truck. hope this tech write up wasnt too bad.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I don't get it. All I see is an emblem missing where one should be. :shrug

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I did the same thing over 12 years ago, but more by accident. The clear plastic ovals fell off, and the "FORD" lettering was dried up and flaked away. I just masked the oval base and painted them blue:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i can get better pics soon, i just got done with the engine swap so ive been busy. but if you look the emblem is there, since its all black u cant really see it. but ill get some close ups soon

·
Registered
461 Posts
There is a much easier way to do this, and not very expensive...they make all colors of emblem 'overlays' basically stickers and they can be replacement Ford Emblems, or come in a number of logos and whatnot...

On my F150 I had one made to cover the Ford Emblem in black and chrome. Looks sweet...cost about 20 bucks.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
There is a much easier way to do this, and not very expensive...they make all colors of emblem 'overlays' basically stickers and they can be replacement Ford Emblems, or come in a number of logos and whatnot...

On my F150 I had one made to cover the Ford Emblem in black and chrome. Looks sweet...cost about 20 bucks.
Where?

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
Yeah, Ebay has a pretty big selection of emblem overlays, especcially for the Ford oval.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts