Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who ever heard of an oil HEATER? Yep that's what Ford put on my Bronco. A friggin oil heater. WTF??? Do I live above the arctic circle?? Sheez. I had a coolant leak and it was driving me crazy then I finally saw it was coming form the lower hose and I thought water pump but it wasn't the water pump. I had seen this bottom hose with the two hoses running toward the back of the engine but man that looked like a job getting to it/them but that's where the leak was. I went NAPA and the guy in there said yeah that's an oil heater. What??? What is it for??? He said he had no idea but it might be there to get the oil moving??? I bought the hose for $50.00 and thought this is BS so I googled Bronco oil heater and surer than shit there it ws. SO I took the expensive hose back and got a $20.00 one. Here's a couple of pictures and you can see the split in the adapter where the coolant was dribbling out. Those two smaller hoses go to the oil filter housing. On goes in and one comes out. I just cut em off and installed the regular hose and it runs just fine. I don't want the oil any hotter:histerica

This is the whole thing...

And here is the crack...

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
It's actually an oil COOLER. Only the 5.8s have them. Think about it, the oil runs a lot hotter than the coolant (which is about 195* or so, depending on the thermostat in the upper hose, this is in the lower hose, which is cooler). Running coolant through the oil cooler cools the oil, it doesn't heat it.
See items 49 and 63 in the images below, go to the link and click the image to enlarge it.

The cheap hose will work, but you probably had to trim the ends a little.

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/888329

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/888330

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/888348_1

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK then tell me where the oil cooler is. The two hoses just go into the base of the oil filter, around it and out again. It is not a cooler like any other I have ever seen. In fact when I cut the hoses very little coolant came out I have an auxiliary trans oil cooler in front of the radiator...that IS a cooler. And why when I Googled Bronco oil cooler only the radiator type of coolers came up but when I Googled oil HEATER that hose adapter that I bought at NAPA came right up. The one piece hose...cheapie it is not... fits perfectly.

Boy these guys from Michigan..I don't know..........

I'm from Sylvan Lake.:toothless and worked at Ford Sterling:thumbup

·
Registered
133 Posts
Wow. Looks like a terrible idea. Whether a cooler or heater it doesn't look too efficient

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
it's a cooler dude. for real. not a heater.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Do you think mikey drew that picture and typed up the other page? If he did he has was to much time on his hands and us very talented

·
Registered
185 Posts
the oil cooler works very well as water cools things faster than air does and the oil is right their at your crank and other moving parts where the water cant get so to cool the oil helps cool the engine and works very well. most desiel engines have an oil cooler of some sorts.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Do you think mikey drew that picture and typed up the other page? If he did he has was to much time on his hands and us very talented

LOL - Thanks for the compliment! I love this forum, a laugh a day at least. (sometimes the mis-information just NEEDS to be corrected)

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
It is an oil cooler they started putting them on in 94ish I believe. I don't have one on my 92 but if I did I would probaby remove it anyways. Good concept but if it fails, and it will, you'll end up with coolant in our oil. VW had the same design and mine failed going down the highway. Maby put a remote cooler infront of your radiator.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
I don't have one on my 92 but if I did I would probaby remove it anyways. Good concept but if it fails, and it will, you'll end up with coolant in our oil. VW had the same design and mine failed going down the highway. Maby put a remote cooler infront of your radiator.
Never heard of a Ford cooler of this style failing in that way. This style cooler has been standard issue for vehicles with the "Police" package since at least the early '80s, if not since the '70s.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Never heard of a Ford cooler of this style failing in that way. This style cooler has been standard issue for vehicles with the "Police" package since at least the early '80s, if not since the '70s.
It is American so it probably has a better design. I was just comparing it to my VW which has the same set up but I have never compared them side by side. More then likely it was because it's a foriegn POS.

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I guess it is an oil cooler but there sure has to be a better way to cool the oil than that thing and how come it's only on the 351? Doesn't oil get really hot in any other engine? OK so here's another question. Have any of you experts ever removed this?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just seems like a bad idea. Yeah, heat transferrs better to water than to air. But if you had an aux oil cooler on your radiator it would have a much larger surface are. And the fact the water is 180 degrees and the air passing through would be maybe 100, seems like an external cooler would be better. If an external cooler fails you have a little mess, if that thing fails you have water in your oil or vice versa, either of which could get expensive

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But not on Bronco 351s until 94 or 95. Why not earlier?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
But not on Bronco 351s until 94 or 95. Why not earlier?
I don't know the particulars of when, and under what circumstances, the auxiliary oil cooler started being installed in Bronco's or F-Series trucks. I always assumed it got added to the towing package at some point in time, and eventually the towing package became all but standard equipment.

I do know that design has been in use in the heavy duty cooling system in the Police package for a loooong time, and failures are rare. I also know that wile I would never remove it from something that had it, you are not going to see any realistic adverse affects from removing it. I believe it's main purpose on Police cars was to extend the oil change intervals more than actually cooling the engine.

If it was just the issue of a more expensive hose, I would probably just buy the correct hose and reinstall it. But it's not gonna kill the engine to not have it.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
My guess is by '94, Ford knew the sunset of the Bronco would be '96, so why not put it on. It doesn't add any significant load to the engine (won't adversely hurt mileage), it will help cool the oil on vehicles equipped with the trailer towing package, and the engineering was already proven (on the special duty vehicles as Gacknar mentioned).

·
Registered
99 Posts
My guess it by '94, Ford knew the sunset of the Bronco would be '96, so why not put it on. It doesn't add any significant load to the engine (won't adversely hurt mileage), it will help cool the oil on vehicles equipped with the trailer towing package, and the engineering was already proven (on the special duty vehicles as Gacknar mentioned).
I don't know the exact year they started putting it on but it I know it wasnt standard until somtime around then

1 - 20 of 55 Posts