Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford wants to bring back a program similar to Cash for Clunkers as a way to give the auto industry a boost after the Coronavirus is dealt with, according to Bloomberg.

I think this is a clever idea because when they did Cash for Clunkers back in 2009 there was definitely a surge in new cars being bought. It think it's something that could work again.

What does everyone else think about this proposal?

Ford Motor Co. would like the U.S. government to sponsor an automotive stimulus program to help the industry get back on its feet after the coronavirus crisis abates.

“We think some level of stimulus somewhere on the other side of this would help not only the auto industry and our dealers, which are a huge part of our overall economy, but will help the customers as well,” Mark LaNeve, Ford’s vice president of U.S. marketing, sales and service, said in a phone interview. “We’re in discussions about what would be the most appropriate.”

Those discussions are internal at Ford for now, but are eventually expected to involve the federal government, LaNeve said a day after automakers reported their slowest monthly pace of U.S. sales in a decade. One model being considered is the 2009 “cash for clunkers” program that helped stimulate auto sales following the global financial crisis by encouraging drivers to turn in an older car in exchange for thousands of dollars toward buying a new one.

“Cash for clunkers was very effective at that time,” LaNeve said. “It would be nice to think we could have something equally as effective for 2020 when we get out of this because it was a great program.”

Ford is the first major automaker to publicly float the idea of another clunkers-like program to support the automakers and suppliers that Morgan Stanley estimates employ roughly 1 million Americans. Economists say the U.S. is entering a sharp recession due to the coronavirus containment measures that have closed virtually every car assembly plant in the country.

U.S. Representative Debbie Dingell, a Michigan Democrat whose district is home to Ford’s headquarters, said a vehicle scrappage or purchase incentive to spur demand has been discussed as a possible form of relief for the industry, but said no consensus has been reached on the issue.

“It’s out there as an idea along with many other ideas,” she said. “We’re working with the entire ecosystem of automakers, workers, their unions, suppliers, dealers and consumers.”

·
Super Moderator
29,115 Posts
Yo Dave,
The unfortunate part of Cash 4 clunkers was the destruction of engines and inadvertent destruction of many drivetrain parts.

Subsection c supercedes subparagraph 3; it does state; (c) "The disposal facility may:
(1) Sell any part of the vehicle other than the engine block or drive train
;"
(2) Notwithstanding paragraph (c)(1) of this section, sell the drive train provided the transmission, drive shaft, and rear end are sold as separate parts;
(3) Retain the proceeds from parts sold under this paragraph."

·
Registered
83 Posts
Some perfectly fine Broncos will be destroyed by this for no good reason. Ford spent $237 million on stock buybacks in 2019. Ford should have set that aside to pay for the incentives that would be created by this program. $237 million divided by $3,000 per vehicle would juice 79,000 new Bronco sales without destroying old Broncos

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
no no no no no NO NO NO NO! **** THIS WITH A 15 FOOT TALL IRON CACTUS.
Cash for clunkers ruined the used car market, took tons of good vehicles off the road, and was ultimately ineffective. Most of the buyers were looking to buy a new car anyway, and it had no real effect in the big picture.
Interest rates for new cars are already at 0%. The used car market is already shit, leave them out of it.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,737 Posts
I think they should do it as per the above, it will make my stuff worth more.
I do agree it didnt work as intended the first time though. I also feel like the 4-8k car is going to be the one people are going to be getting this year due to the current economic climate perception. At least in Indian this is the feeling I get.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Oh hell no! That program took a lot of good vehicles and parts out of circulation. Plus it really drove up the price of used cars.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
38,247 Posts
As a representative of poor people who have no reasonable choice but to fix what they have to get things done... NOT A FAN!

The ONLY reason to push something like this is to force folks into new sh!t. Just like my Harley a few decades back, I don't want prices going up and stuff getting much harder to find. I'm not looking to sell my Bronco or my Hog, no matter how much they may be worth... or not worth.

I just want to be free to ride/drive my machine(s) without being hassled by the man!

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,737 Posts
agree is more bad things then good it does (if it does any good).
Be different if they didnt destroy the old ones being brought in and just made it a trade in deal. If I knew there was a bunch of mid 90's vehicle at the ford lott for sale, thats where Id be headed

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,900 Posts
Another thing the Cash for Clunkers deal does is it gets older "non-green" vehicles off the road way. All of the new cars built today have much stricter emissions standards than our Broncos.

I think its a conspiracy !!

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
Every housewife and lazy husband will be pushing to turn in their dependable 90s-2000s ford truck in like wild fire. Like a broke person scratching a lottery ticket waiting to burn all their stuff in the street.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't mind as long as they don't accept F-150's or Broncos. We need those to show up in the junkyards so we can scavenge them !!!
Yeah that would be the main concern if they brought the program back. Though in all honesty I'm not holding my breath that this will actually happen.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I don't like it. I know of a perfectly fine F150 that I would like to have today that got turned in the last round.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts