Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 ford bronco 5.8 w/the stock radiator fan. Will a 91 5.0 ford mustang plastic fan PULL MORE AIR then a stock bronco fan??? I ask this because it has 9 blades instead of 5 on the bronco, and the blades appear to be angled more to pull more air. The mustang fan appears to be an inch smaller in diameter.

Thanks for any help.

·
Try it now!!
9,125 Posts
I cant answer your question, but the stock mechanical fan on Broncos is more than adequate for airflow. If you have a cooling problem a bigger fan, if it helps, will only mask the problem.

The problem with mechanical fans is their lack of airflow at idle. Go with an electric fan so you can get max airflow at any engine speed.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Bighibbi said:
I have a 93 ford bronco 5.8 w/the stock radiator fan. Will a 91 5.0 ford mustang plastic fan PULL MORE AIR then a stock bronco fan??? I ask this because it has 9 blades instead of 5 on the bronco, and the blades appear to be angled more to pull more air. The mustang fan appears to be an inch smaller in diameter.

Thanks for any help.
If you go with an electric fan, the 5.8 will need a fan that pulls around 4000CFM or you will have cooling problems in hot weather.

If it looks like this one it probably is the same as the one I used from a Lincoln. It is about the same diameter as the mechanical fan.

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=212&s=30394#content

PS Ditto on kf4amu's comment on existing cooling problems. The mechanical fan will cool very well as long as you have a shroud on it. So if you have a cooling problem now, fix it before going to an electric fan. You may have a clogged system.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Seabronc said:
If you go with an electric fan, the 5.8 will need a fan that pulls around 4000CFM or you will have cooling problems in hot weather.

If it looks like this one it probably is the same as the one I used from a Lincoln. It is about the same diameter as the mechanical fan.
FWIW, the '93 Mustang fan is a mechanical fan as well. They started putting electric fans in to stangs in '94. It pulls about the same as a Taurus fan, but not anywhere near what the Lincoln fan does though.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
You found a mustang fan that wasn't cracked? Plastic fans CAN come apart at high rpm, ask me how I know. I wouldn't use it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts