Discussion Starter #81

·
Ford-a-Holic
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #82

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,100 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Awesome thread! :thumbup

These aren't as cool as some of the vintage racing stuff posted, but here's some of my personal Ford 'history'... please forgive the quality, all are scans of old print photos.

I'll start with the Bronco I should never have sold...
66 Bronco 1 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

One of my high school cars, Mk1 Ford Capri (yes, before the Capri became a Mercury)...
Capri 2 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

That pic is one of a very few I have of the car, and all were taken after a theft recovery. It had a built V6 w/holley 4bbl and headers and was still slow. :histerica But Capris had a great racing heritage in Europe and I'd love to have another one today.

And some 'vintage' racing (sure doesn't seem like 25 years ago!)...
Cbad 2 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr
Cbad 1 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

BTW, that Beetle in the near lane went 13 flat... that guy made a lot of money with that car! :toothless

I had a great time with that Mustang. It ran 11s, was featured in several magazines, and won a truckload of car show trophies.

89 Stang Collage jpg by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

A buddies 5.0 Notch, from the same era...

Cbad 3 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,100 Posts
My friend, Dean Steward, raced a fox body Mercury Capri up until 3 years ago. He's 80 years young now and just finished writing a book on engine building. Crazy ol coot just keeps on going like the energizer bunny

·
Ford-a-Holic
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Keeping up with the Cammers...

·
Registered
686 Posts
BigBlue said:
My friend, Dean Steward, raced a fox body Mercury Capri up until 3 years ago. He's 80 years young now and just finished writing a book on engine building. Crazy ol coot just keeps on going like the energizer bunny
I have a friend like that... We've been riding motorcycles together for ~20years. IIRC Bob's 83 now, and he still drives/rides the wheels off, well, pretty much anything with wheels. A few months ago I was on a local fun drive with some friends (mostly Porsche guys) on our local mountain roads. Bob shows up with a 600cc Suzuki scooter and proceeds to run off and hide from everyone. You should have seen the looks on the Porsche guys' faces... :histerica

BTW, you might have heard of Bob... he drove this for many, many years:

He made a little internet sensation a while back when he rolled it with Jay Leno strapped in the passenger seat... :rofl:

·
Ford-a-Holic
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
For Rusty; more GAA...

Three Demon 4-bbl carbs and twin MSD billet distributors..

:thumbup

·
Addicted to Junk
11,100 Posts

·
Ford-a-Holic
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
i remember that '70:

·
--------------
4,048 Posts
I have a friend like that... We've been riding motorcycles together for ~20years. IIRC Bob's 83 now, and he still drives/rides the wheels off, well, pretty much anything with wheels. A few months ago I was on a local fun drive with some friends (mostly Porsche guys) on our local mountain roads. Bob shows up with a 600cc Suzuki scooter and proceeds to run off and hide from everyone. You should have seen the looks on the Porsche guys' faces... :histerica

BTW, you might have heard of Bob... he drove this for many, many years:

He made a little internet sensation a while back when he rolled it with Jay Leno strapped in the passenger seat... :rofl:

I Remember that Car, back when "Wheel Standers" were all the rave. (Tucson Dragway)
How about the "Mexican Jumping Bean" an old ford econoline front cab truck and
the "Texas Rare Bear" el-camino.

Cool Stuff.
Dragon

·
Ford-a-Holic
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
So what did that end up in. Just to heavy too do anything ???? pulling tractor
Webmaster Bob Konradi ( the fordgaaengine.com) built it for his 1984 Ford F350-based street truck. Future plans
include changeover to Ford EEC-4 based twin throttle body EFI.

I have never seen any completed pics but these show him test fitting the GAA

·
Addicted to Junk
11,100 Posts
My buddy Dean, in his Capri at our local track. As a teenager, I learned a lot from this ol man about going fast.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Some interesting engines on this site

Complete Engines - Museum of American Speed

Ford built two of these experimental engines in 1979 or 1980. Unusual design features include:

A mechanical, belt driven fuel injection system that injects fuel directly into the combustion chamber, similar to diesel fuel injection.

Two spark plugs per cylinder

Distributorless ignition system

This particular engine was in a 1980 Ford Crown Victoria purchased that same year at a Ford Motor Company salvage auction. Ford technicians had cut up the car's body and frame, and damaged or destroyed several of the engine's components before the sale. This is what survived.

Attachments

·
Ford-a-Holic
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
How about some Boss 429 (a/k/a NASCAR $hit) assembly line stuff....

·
Premium Member
'95 XLT: 5.8/MAF/E4OD/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5x15
35,215 Posts
Wish we had some pics from back when Dad and his club buddies were running out at Spokane International Raceway. We spent a lot of time out there for a few good years. One of the guys owned a carb shop and built a rippin' Kawi drag-bike. Dad raced his Galaxy 500 and later his AMX Javelin all the time. When I wasn't in the pit, I was riding my dirt-bike all over the open acreage out there, back in the late 70's. S.I.R. used to pull in some of the big races. Loved the funny cars and snowmobile vs. dragster races. Even got to see a jet go-cart out there one year. Had a lot of good memories... thanks for stirring them up guys. :thumbup

·
Ford-a-Holic
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #100

81 - 100 of 2535 Posts