Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to order new clutch packs for my 8.8 posi and I'm not sure which ones to buy, Auburn and Ford Motorsports? Anyone had any experience with these?

Jason

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't know which one the guy used BUT he prefered to use motorsport parts(ie plugs,wires air and oil filters) when I had my 8.8 mustang rear rebuilt the guy took out my old two disc clutch pack and put in three discs, he charged $50 for the clutches and $80 labor. After that I could leave at 4grand on my slicks,they would hook like hell on my wayto 12.60. Before I had the rebuild would get the old one wheel burn out. The new setup was tight.:thumbup

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Last I checked, Summit had the Ratech rebuild kit for a Ford 8.8 TractionLok unit, for about $40. Wasn't in the catalog, had to talk to a sales guy, but it was pretty decent quality.

"PosiTraction" is a GM term, btw. :goodfinge

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
i thought with a posi rear both tires should spin, i no my truck has a posi but only one will spin

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After talking to a few Mustang buddies of mine (owners of drag cars)and a few Bronco owners, I'm going to get the ford motorsports clutch pack for the Bronco "POSI UNIT" ;) (posi is a universal term, PosiTraction is GM :goodfinge ) , suppose to last longer than most aftermarket packs, and cost about the same (except if you get it from a dealer).

Jason

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
posi I'm rebuilding has 3 plates per side, I don't think I can fit anymore, but the guy I'm getting to set up my gears builds diff's for drag cars, he should know. My diff in the Bronco now has a posi but all I get is one wheel peel, told posi clutch plates is shot, also the axle is slightly bent, thats what I get for being airborn to many times:duh

Jason

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,449 Posts
Yea you can add it, and that way your rear works my like a locker for awhile. Also make sure to put in a new S spring if your kit didn't come with it

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
xmeinherzbrennt said:
i thought with a posi rear both tires should spin, i no my truck has a posi but only one will spin
It's not quite that simple. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

DcSkater602 said:
sounds good...are you gonna add the extra clutches???
i want to...it requires you re-use one of the old ones however
or buy another kit:shrug
dc
IIRC every truck Track-Lock I have seen had the clutches stacked that way to begin with.

It's car Track-Locks (Mustang Capri ect) that had them stacked with one less friction disk.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
:popc1: OK heres what ive got...time to educate...

The standard Traction Lok clutch disk stacking order. From left to right: .045" shim, friction disk, 2 steel splined disks, friction disk, 2 steel splined disks, friction disk and side gear.

The alternate Traction Lok clutch disk stacking order. From left to right: shim (size is speculative,) friction disk, 1 steel splined disk, friction disk, 1 steel splined disk, friction disk, 1 steel splined disk, friction disk and side gear.
Notice that the alternate stacking order includes four friction disks. A Traction Lok rebuild kit only comes with three friction disks. If you decide to use this stacking order you will have to reuse one of the old friction disks.

i found all of this info here http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/5ohcpa/cpa5ohtech018.htm

great write up on rebuilding an 8.8

dc

btw dont know about the car vs truck disk order...i thought they all had 3

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Angel fire doesn't allow hot linking.

Youl have to save the files somwhere to load the pics.

DcSkater602 said:
btw dont know about the car vs truck disk order...i thought they all had 3
Just telling you what I have seen.
Every car track lock I have ever had apart had the 3 friction disk stack.
All the trucks had 4.

But that doesn't mean somebody didn't change the trucks before I got to them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good info, thanks everyone! Parts are ordered, should have them in a week, all new Ford Motorsports clutch packs, seals, shims, bearings, washers, bolts, diff cover,... Getting it built so its "race" ready, never know when I'll want to take it down a 1/4 mile, get half way down and deside to jump the wall and go wheeling:goodfinge :chili:

Jason

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
everything I'm buying I need, Diff cover and all. The 8.8 I'm rebuilding was sitting in a rusted out bronco under a tree for 6 yrs, when I took it apart some water ran out with the gear oil, no sign of rust on gears and posi, but I wouldn't trust the bearings, when It goes into my Bronco I want all new, considering that the front of my Bronco's IFS has been replaced with all new After my whole pass side hub exploded on me doing 140km/h:duh

The only thing that kept my wheel on was 1 brake caliper pin that jammed against the rotor, I managed to get it stopped, jacked it up and everything just fell off onto the ground. That 1 pin was ther only think was left, no bearings, no lock nuts, no washers, no brakes... destroyed the hub, spindle, auto hub, rotor, caliper, bent knuckle, scared the life out of me!!:shocked

So that's why I want All new!!
drain plug idea is good, I done it with my trans pan before I reinstalled

Jason

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
low-1-5-0 said:
After talking to a few Mustang buddies of mine (owners of drag cars)and a few Bronco owners, I'm going to get the ford motorsports clutch pack for the Bronco "POSI UNIT" ;) (posi is a universal term, PosiTraction is GM :goodfinge ) , suppose to last longer than most aftermarket packs, and cost about the same (except if you get it from a dealer).

Jason
On Fords its called Trac-Lock.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
140...thats not that fast in MPH is it...like 85mph...ive done that multiple times in my BKO...
yeah, but did your front end explode on you!!:toothless

Jason

1 - 18 of 18 Posts