Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who knows the watage on the ford premium sound amp i have 94 if that matters.my cd player has 50x4 and i want to know if that is worth bi-passing the factory amp?

·
Registered
41 Posts
The wattage on your new stereo is probably greater,and cleaner than the factory amp.I don't know if the inputs on the amp could take 50 watts a channel either.I bypassed my amp,and am running a 50x4 stereo,and it sounds much better than stock.Hope that helps.

·
Registered
150 Posts
factor amps on premium systems put out decent power, but if you have your own amps (especially a mosfet powered one), I would go with that route instead. Right now the system in my truck is amazing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ok, Ford factory Premium Sound Amp is junk... I get that. Where is it located in a 1995 Eddie Bauer Bronco?

I am having trouble with no sound on the passenger side. I only have sound on the driver side.

I want to by-pass the Amp with a new CD player head unit that has an internal amp to see if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thank you for your responce, wayne100.

I was able to find the amp. I have a by-pass wiring adapter so everthing is just fine. Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thank you for your responce, wayne100.

I was able to find the amp. I have a by-pass wiring adapter so everthing is just fine. Thanks

have a '94 with the factory amp as well - did you create this bypass with wires or can you buy one to save the hassle?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Jaja,

I went to a car audio store and they sold me a wiring harness for my new CD player and it came with the Amp by-pass adapter for the "Ford Premium Sound". The minor problem was one of the ends was wrong on the by-pass harness. The male end of the factory harness that came from the factory radio and pluged into the amp, was different than the female end of the bypass. The other end of the by-pass harness that pluged into the speaker harness was just fine. So I undid the tabs that holds the factory wiring in behind the dash. Pulled all of it out (super easy to do, it is less than 18 inches of wire) I then cut the two miss matched ends off, and followed the color coded wiring diagram and made my own by-pass with the orginal Ford Premium Sound amp harness (which you do not need after the radio swap) and the by-pass that comes from the car audio store. I basicly took the ford harness and the by-pass harness and made them into one harness.

It took me about an hour to make the two harnesses into one harness. From there I ran the wires back behind the dash where they were suposed to go and pluged everything in. "Sound" is all better.

So to answer your question... I made a harness. It only took me an extra hour of time over the standard insert of an after market CD install. Hopefully you can buy the correct by-pass. I did find out that the Bronco Eddie Bauer Premium Sound amp is slightly different than the other ford amps. This is why my after market "92-97 Ford Truck Premium Sound" by-pass harness did not fit right in.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have worked for 2 of the big name stores and a few other ones for over 8 years doing car audio and electrical. coming from someone that did this for a living i will tell you that only MAYBE 5% of the time did we keep a factory amp. even most cheap-o radios put out more power than the older factory amps. get rid of them, they make great door stops... thats about it ;o)

·
Registered
82 Posts
just bought one on fleabay. hope it works. have some new nice speakers too ! :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
OMG - just got the harness, makes the world a difference... was worth every penny of the $10 harness.

now all i have to do is add the new speakers...

·
Registered
167 Posts
aftermarket stereos are always going to be better than stock.. but one thing that hardly anyone ever notices is MAX POWER AND CONSTANT POWER your radio thats 50W x 4 is NEVER going to be that high, basically if it gets struck by lightning it will give all 4 speakers 50 watts, your probably getting 17 - 22 watts of continuous power depending on the brand of stereo you have. always find out the RMS or Continuous power of a stereo to know how much power it is actually puting out, SAME THING WITH ALLL audio equipment, subs, speakers, amps, etc. but after market is pretty much always better than stock in most cases. and the factory will push out about as much as an aftermarket stereo but still not as good quality of sound.

·
Registered
43 Posts
so... wanna share that location? I have a 4-ch and need a new doorstop;)

The Amp on my 1995 Eddie Bauer Bronco was in between the firewall and the back of the instrument cluster right above the gas pedel.

The easiest way to find it is to lay on your back infront of the driver seat. Place your head by the gas pedel and look up under the dash. The Amp will be right up against the firewall, and it will be high up like it is right behind the instrument cluster. I have big hands so it was kinda hard for me to get to.

Mine had a big plug that goes to all the speakers, and a small plug that came from the back of the radio. So the small plug is signal "in", and the big plug is signal "out".

I hope this helps. I did a search and found a guy who had removed his whole dash to get at his radio. It is the very last thing before you hit the firewall. As far as I know there is no good or easy way to remove the Ford Amp from it's hiding place.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts