Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this question is aimed more at fireguy but any one is welcome to answer, i tried searching but, didnt find an answer. I have my ford racing cataloge and according to it, there is not a MAF conversion for my 95' 351w w/speed desnsity. so the question is can i use the one they list for 87-93' (302) or the 93-95' lightning (351w) because i was under the impression they had a kit for my truck, i know you can make one your self but i dont really like messing with all that because i only have the one vehicle and a kit lets me do it in a day. Thanks

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,883 Posts
Crazed said:
To add to this question what is the bottom line $$ on doing this.

Im curious to, that 95 351w I just put in came with the injector harness but the connector was different so was unable to use it, plus i believe it was wired for mass air. If I sent you this harness would that help in the cost department?

Hey Crazed you thinking of going mass air to solve your :banghead

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
What transmission do you have? The Lightning kit is for E4OD tranny. If you don't have E4OD, then you're SOL. Your best bet is to have Fireguy make you one. Besides, it will be cheaper through him, and he'll tell you that the lightning MAF is crap. I don't know how true that is, but at least you'll save some moola.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya i thought about that, but i wasnt sure what else i need to get from where, and my tranny is an E4OD. the main plus about the kit is that its a kit, since i only have the one vehicle i need to be able to do everything in a day and with the kit i would be able to, although it is overpriced

·
Registered
355 Posts
'95 is the odd year on MAF Broncos. Calif versions had MAF already. Rest of the nation caught up in '96.

...How's that for useless trivia...

Bob K.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
With the E4OD you can only use the $1000 93-95 Lightning MAF kit.
Personally I thought that lighting kit was crap, but I've heard better things about it lately, so I'm re-looking at it.

I don't know if you can get it done in a day, that kit has new injectors too, which is a couple of hours your first time.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Crazed said:
To add to this question what is the bottom line $$ on doing this.
For you Tim it's much easier, as you don't have the E4OD.
The Ford Racing MAF kit is like $600 if I remember :shrug.

Watch BoulderBronco's EFI build up. should be an engine like yours in the end, maybe hotter :shrug Then we are working our the MAF right now.
here is the curent build up thread:
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10864
(he has an E4OD, so I'm going to get creative to save the $1000 :D )

·
I break chit
4,685 Posts
Fireguy50 said:
For you Tim it's much easier, as you don't have the E4OD.
The Ford Racing MAF kit is like $600 if I remember :shrug.

Watch BoulderBronco's EFI build up. should be an engine like yours in the end, maybe hotter :shrug Then we are working our the MAF right now.
here is the curent build up thread:
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10864
(he has an E4OD, so I'm going to get creative to save the $1000 :D )

once yuo get creative and figure it out let me know too cause if it works for cheaper than the ford kit ill be knocking at ur door with the cash in hand cause i have no idea where to start except with the things that we have talked about....but see he is going with small sized mods and no STROKER like i am....

So the lightning kit has the stuff for a 351W to MAF while still controlling the E4OD with out 2 computers or with 2 computers????

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so because the Lightning kit has new injectors do i need a differant fuel pump or anything else? and how difficult are infectors to install, do i have to really get in there and tear apart the engine? Thanks

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Bluebeast- It's one computer. One computer is all it will need, because the lightnings have the 351+E4OD.

Trucky18- The stock fuel rails will be fine for you. To replace the injectors, you'll only need to remove the upper intake manifold, the fuel rails, and individual injectors. You'll need a special tool to disconnect the fuel rails. Fireguy has a picture of the tool on his site. The only problem I have ever had with injector replacement is tearing the O-rings, which would cause a fuel leak. To prevent that from happening, have vasoline handy, and spare O-rings just in case (which you can pick up at the local ato parts).
Since you will need to remove the intake to install the overlay harness (at least it makes it easier with the upper removed) then it isn't that much more work to swap out injectors.

·
I break chit
4,685 Posts
jerry 1 a b said:
Bluebeast- It's one computer. One computer is all it will need, because the lightnings have the 351+E4OD.
Does anyone have the part # of this Kit for the 351/E4OD combo? just curious as to what it says and the exact price.

G

·
The lightning kit comes with 30lb inj and 80mm mass air flow meter. You got to have the horsepower to need those and the $$$$$'s! Unless Ford Racings sells a kit they do not list. I would try their tech line: (586) 468-1356. I see three possible options with the E4OD tranny , Ryan's help, two computers and harness, Ford racing if they can sell a computer to fit your tranny with the mass air conversion (bling bling), or any programmable computer and a chip or tuner. The tuner gets more complicated, but the tuner will allow for future mods, chips have to get burned again with significant mods. You could always add the chip or tuner down the road if you mod further. I would piece it together with Ryans help! You will get better components and save $'s if you make our own kit. I have a spare A9L computer for sale.

If you are stroking it with many other mods you will need a chip or tuner to get it right!

·
I break chit
4,685 Posts
Blown said:
This gets more complcated, but the tuner will allow for future mods, chips have to get burned again with significant mods. You could always add the chip or tuner down the road if you mod further. I would piece it together with Ryans help! You will get better components and save $'s if you make our own kit. I have a spare A9L computer for sale.

If you are stroking it with many other mods you will need a chip or tuner to get it right!
thanks blown i am strking it and i have a few mods besides the crank...I am currently looking into everything because the swap doesnt happen until this summer after this semester at school...

Blown- where did u get ur chip and or tuner?

G

·
:stupid Ryan has told me where to go several times! :histerica Nicest place he told me to go was tweecer.com.
He helped me figure out the low RPM, High load, leaness that caused my 302 to blow a head gasket. It was pinging/knocking at low rpm with many aftermarket components and the stock computer. My bronc pulls better than ever thanks to a proper tune for my build.

Next build I want to do the 392 with blower but would also need to upgrade the fuel system, clutch, and front axle. $$$$$$$$$$ Power Monger, ya baby Ya! :rockon Close to 500ftlbs of torque and 450 horses! Probably end-up only doing 351 cubes.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts