Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone put a Pioneer radio/CD in my 96 EB Bronco. I want a Ford unit back in it.
How difficult would it be to install one of these back in it?:

The original was probably like this one:

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
2 issues you need worry about - the factory opening and the wiriing. Souldn't be hard unless the PO hacked up the opening to install a radio not intended for the factory spot. (Like a double din.) Just depends on what was required to install the after market one. And for wiring, most aftermarket stereos are installed with an adapter to the factory plug - if the installer was smart! So you should just need to to uplug the adapter and plug the original connector into the new factory unit. If they hacked up the wiring, then you'll need to get a factory plug to fit the radio and rewire it in.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
It should slide right in and connect to the existing harness, assuming someone didn't hack it.

The problem will be finding one...that works correctly.

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
I've been looking for a factory replacement for a couple of years now since I got mine. I'd liek to find a factory cassette or even CD player for the '92. I'm not even really sure if '92 came with a CD as an option. I'm pretty certain it probably didn't come in the Custom model.

·
I see Broncos
6,013 Posts
As the other two said as long as the installer did it right with the store bought harness it's pretty much plug and play.

Now on the other side, I have no clue why you would want to do this. The stock Ford stereos are unbelievably weak. I replaced mine with a JVC unit way back in 2000 because I couldn't hear the stereo at any speed above 50 or with the windows down past 40ish MPH. Keep in mind I was stock back then too.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not pulled the entire current radio but the opening is not hacked up.
I guess when I get Panasonic radio puller keys I will find out about the wires.
Thanks for the input.
By the way I have a radio/cassette that supposedly came with the Bronco, I just want a radio/cd.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
There are two ways to wire a stereo. The correct way is to buy the adapter harness to plug into the factory harness. The "hacked" way is to cut off the original stereo plug and connect the aftermarket stereo directly to the wiring.

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
I'd like to get one to be able to keep my Bronco fairly close to stock. So, that when the time comes and I get it back to factory spec, I could show it as a Factory stock vehicle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts