Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
But what does mine say?
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My back yard is part of a good sized, moderately wooded valley. There are tons of great 4 wheeler trails that twist and wind through the entire thing, crossing creeks and swamp like areas. The problem is that these trails aren't wide enough to drive my bronco through. But can you imagine being able to wheel whenever the hell you want, and not having to travel to get to the trail. It's literally my back yard.

So here's my question.... How many of you have made your own trails? I'm not just talking about making use of a muddy field or something like that. I'm asking if I should cut back some branches and widen the trails so that I can fit. Would you do it? It's not private property. And just about everyone that lives along the edge of the valley, has a 4 wheeler, and hits the trails all the time.

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,541 Posts
just do it, make sure you clean up after yourself though. and also remember to tread lightly and respect the area. just reminding you of these things, otherwise it sounds like an awesome idea

wes

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,678 Posts
Go for it, if there are no signs or fences..But maybe to make sure call city hall or something to see who actually owns the land..Someone has to.

·
OUCH!!
790 Posts
just do go an ruin the other people's fun as well. We used to have a place to ride our dirtbikes but then everyone found out about the place and they wanted to bring there trucks a root everything up and ruined it for us to go riding. Also after that the police came every weekend and would run everyone off. That's Virginia for ya :cry

Also if you do it don't go telling everyone you know about it cuz the same thing will happen to you.

·
TTB Hater of course
2,551 Posts
Unless I own the land I totally wouldnt' do it. Just 'cause it might be public land doesn't mean it's ok. Even if the greenies never find out you'll promote a general image throughout the local community, especially to whoever does own the land.

Some of the comments here are scary, I can't believe the other replies have been in favor of this. But it certainly explains why lands are being closed left and right. Apparently we don't get it.

Just because there are no fences does not make it right.

If you really want to do this, contact the agency which owns the land and get written consent.

·
No avatar required
12,161 Posts
Keith_L said:
Unless I own the land I totally wouldnt' do it. Just 'cause it might be public land doesn't mean it's ok. Even if the greenies never find out you'll promote a general image throughout the local community, especially to whoever does own the land.

Some of the comments here are scary, I can't believe the other replies have been in favor of this. But it certainly explains why lands are being closed left and right. Apparently we don't get it.

If you really want to do this, contact the agency which owns the land and get written consent.
Never thought of it that way, you must be a lawyer. Damn you for making me think this close to quitting time. :toothless

·
Registered
882 Posts
I agree with Keith 100% I'll admit I have cut trees to fit through from a fallin tree. But I would not cut the trees just so I can fit through unless its blocking the trail for everyone. I know of some trails that are too narrow for a fullsize but I'm not bout to cut it wider so I can fit and risk losing the land for everyone else. If you want to do a narrow trail get an atv or a zuk or something.

·
negative creep
7,507 Posts
Keith_L said:

:stupid

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,541 Posts
now that i have thought about it more, i am with keith. my first response was purely a spur of the moment decision. now that keith has laid it out his way, i agree with him. make sure it is all ok with the gov first, then do it, and dont abuse the land. arent there areas within an hour of you there in kentucky? i thought i remember there being a few places i had seen online. cover your a$$ before you do anything to make sure you dont get screwed over, or even the whole wheeling community gets screwed over in the long run

wes

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,515 Posts
I agree Keith. Just because you have the means to do it doesn't make it right.

If you can't fit on a trail don't run that trail. IF you have an issue with it go buy somthing that will fit.

·
But what does mine say?
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree with Keith also, that's why I asked your opinions. That being said, I went back there after I started this topic, so that I could take some pictures to give you guys a visual.

In this first picture, I'm directly behind my house, and all of the land between where I am standing, and the creek belongs to my parents. Everything visible from the other side of the creek, and up the hill belongs to a guy who runs his dune buggy through there. Most of the land left of the picture belongs to the city.

Here is a picture from ground level. You can see how narrow the trail is, but most everything on either side is just brush and thorn bushes.

Here is a creek crossing. This is an area that I am most concerned about. The tree that is leaning, is really low, and it's more than likely impossible for me to fit under it. By the way, the bare spot looks like a deer rub up close. (I didn't do it)

Here is another crossing. It's really only about six to eight feet wide.

Here's a little hill. It's steep, and about thirty yards high.

Here's another view of the brush. Very narrow!

Here's another crossing. I haven't bothered to follow this trail yet, but I believe it leads to another trail that I know about on the other side of the hill.

Here's my trail buddy. There are some deer beds back in there, and I think he picked up the sent of one.

Here's another shot of Shadow to show how narrow the trail is.

He's not lazy.

·
But what does mine say?
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WES said:
now that i have thought about it more, i am with keith. my first response was purely a spur of the moment decision. now that keith has laid it out his way, i agree with him. make sure it is all ok with the gov first, then do it, and dont abuse the land. arent there areas within an hour of you there in kentucky? i thought i remember there being a few places i had seen online. cover your a$$ before you do anything to make sure you dont get screwed over, or even the whole wheeling community gets screwed over in the long run

wes
There are a few trails nearby that I know of, but some of them are being cleared for housing, and others are there for power lines. As for any others, I read about one a few years ago, but haven't heard a thing of it since and can't remember the name.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,515 Posts
looks to me like it wasn't intended for fullsize trucks. It looks like those are ATV tracks to me. But It's just brush. IT's not going to hurt your truck unless your affraid of scratches. I would cut that tree down though if the land owner gives you permission.

·
College User
2,121 Posts
If it is a legal trail you can maintain it by doing upkeep of the growth to allow passage. Though if it is just a spot people go and is in the gray area they I would not want to get caught destroying anything. In the forests in Florida it was 100$ per tree/plant effected last I checked. It is even illegal to drive over a downed tree.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.