Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to reach out and say hi.

After searching for a project / 4X4 the family has decided on a Bronco.

It's a 1996 XLT with 186,000 on the clock. Same owner last 10 years and needs some work. It was advertised locally for 1200.00 but I got him to take a 100.00 because I am a shrewd negotiator. HEH

Down to the brass tax.....things I know it needs...

Front upper spring perches, rear front spring brackets, usual air filter oil change and belts will be done. Needs new front fenders (bottoms by the door rusted out) and had the rear wheel arches done some time ago. Needs paint.
Door locks are inoperable and radio is sketchy at best. There is a story about a spilled drink and fuse. Really don't care.

It shifts good, the motor pulls but has a low end wrap at start up that went away after a little while (no smoke). Ill start with fluids first. Oil pan leaks but I will swap that.

As for the wants. The plan is to hang new fenders, update the suspension with maybe a two in lift (nothing too aggressive for the family) put a new a/c compressor on it, and wheels and tires. Make it a nice, safe, fun to drive rig for the beach, hiking and Sunday drives.

I have done all the work on my cars in the past and plan on having a lot of fun with this and my 7.3 powerstroke.

Some helpful hints, fluid recommendations, and good sources for products would be helpful to this proud newbie bronco owner. ;)

I look forward to sharing my Bronco ownership experience with everyone here.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Welcome to the addiction.

Pics are appreciated. We's visual peoples here.

For front fenders, try going to a local junkyard and look for an F150 92'-96' and steel the front fenders off that. They should just bolt right in place with some shimming. See if you can steel the spring perches and brackets that you need off that same F150 as well. Same for the door lock actuators.

For the radio, before anything else, pull it out and check out the wiring. I'm assuming its not the factory radio. Make sure the wiring harness was done right, with crimped wire splices and not just electrical tape. Most radio issues are due to poor wiring in my experience.

What motor does your rig have?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PO says it has a 351 in it. That was a deal maker for me.

I am thrilled to be able to get these parts from a F150. I figured there would be some parts from other vehicles in the Ford line up but wasn't sure.

Thanks for welcoming me. I'm really excited to get started. My wife would rather have something that needs less work but I am the type of guy that likes to put his own stamp on things.

I looked at the wheel tire thread but was quickly overwhelmed. What size wheels and tires should I look at running on a stock to 2 inch lift. My wife says no bigfoot look which is fine. She needs to feel comfortable driving while I'm in one of the other cars/trucks.

I would like to get simple steel wheels, figure bolt pattern is 5/5.5 but can't tell what width I should get. Looking at the BFG's, I'd like to just order a package and be done with it. Any place to recommend starting with. Direct tire? Tire Rack? Must be a go to site for all the Bronco fans? no?

Welcome to the addiction.

Pics are appreciated. We's visual peoples here.

For front fenders, try going to a local junkyard and look for an F150 92'-96' and steel the front fenders off that. They should just bolt right in place with some shimming. See if you can steel the spring perches and brackets that you need off that same F150 as well. Same for the door lock actuators.

For the radio, before anything else, pull it out and check out the wiring. I'm assuming its not the factory radio. Make sure the wiring harness was done right, with crimped wire splices and not just electrical tape. Most radio issues are due to poor wiring in my experience.

What motor does your rig have?

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
I would say roughly 90% of the parts of the F150 are shared by the bronco. The three big things I can think of that aren't shared include the tub (cab and bed), the frame and rear driveshaft. I can't remember if the rear gas tank is shared or not. Most of my upgrades came from junked F250/350 trucks and were always bolt on. Check out my build thread to see how I did it.

I actually need to replace my right front panel now after a tree hit me last month on a trail. (And yes, it really did hit me and not the other way around.)

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,716 Posts
Pictures and Welcome to our Home, Please take the time and click on the "VOTE for TOP 4X4 SITE" so we can get more exposure and Members as yourself...

You can click on "Vote for TOP 4X4 SITE" On the bottom of my signature or go to "Other Forums".

Thanks,
Allcruisen :imp :usa

1 - 5 of 5 Posts