Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this drain on the battery, so i took everything off the silinod for the night and the battery stayed alive. When i put the main lights wire on (i dont know the offical name but its for the interrior and exterrior lights) it drained the battery in about 6 hours. So where do i go from here? switch the wire?

Thanks for being so pacient i'm quite the noob

Jeremy

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,875 Posts
and all you lights are off?...stupid question i know but at one time my son was playing in the back of my bko and turned the light on the trim panel in the back on...since I keep so much crap in the back I never noticed it on and kept ending up with a dead battery.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
redwagon said:
I keep so much crap in the back I never noticed it on and kept ending up with a dead battery.
too many copies of Brokeback Mountain?? :goodfinge

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
but anyways... all the lights are off...

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
let me just bump this... its kinda important

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
You haven't found the problem, you found a clue, don't short cut the issue yet.

The way to troubleshoot drains is with a proper ammeter. You can get an automotive one for cheap from most auto parts stores, but be sure it'll handle the current of the drain. 15 amps will work most of the time, 10 amps will get you by. Be sure to get spare fuses.

Hook your ammeter between the battery and the circuit with the drain, i.e. the wire you found. You will see current flow immediately. Then, sit down with your $14.95 Haynes manual wiring diagram and pull fuses on that circuit. This can help narrow down the circuit further. Once you have the circuit isolated, you can start unplugging things to find the actual culprit.

As noted, the problem is generally a glove box light or courtesy light. 99% of drains are pretty easy to find.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sadly, i am apart of the 1% becuase i keep checking everylight, everytime i get it running agian. I'm starting to think it might be my alt went bad even though i just got a new one. so how would i test this out?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,747 Posts
quicksilver3602003 said:
I'm starting to think it might be my alt went bad even though i just got a new one. so how would i test this out?
DUDE! We told you what to do in the other thread! :twak :twak :twak :D

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SigEpBlue said:
DUDE! We told you what to do in the other thread! :twak :twak :twak :D
Right you are, sorry about that... :whiteflag

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
smileybry said:
check out my post here... http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63631

electrical problems suck. If you're strapped for time and cant get to it right away, grab one of these JC whitney has them cheaper, and you can get one at any parts store http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HLA-87181&N=115&autoview=sku
thanks, i might have to order one of these next week,and yes i do not have to take apart the truck and see whats up with my battery.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
50Gunner said:
My g/fs battery kept draining in her Toyota shitbox, and it was the starter. Check grounds.
How am i going to know if the ground is good or not?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Try this. Buy a 6 dollar test light. Then disconnect the negative battery terminal and connect the test light between the negative post and the terminal. If the test light lights up brightly you have a power drain. Then pull the fuses for the interior lights until the test light is either dim or barely registering a draw. The test light will not go completely out because the computer will always draw a little bit of power in order to keep your radio presets and clock functioning among possible other things.

Let us know what fuse you pulled and then maybe we can help you out.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That sounds like somthing that i can do, I will get one of those tomorrow, and ill let you know what happens

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
QS

go straight to the B-pillar under your seatbelt retractor and fish out the wires from the access hole under the seat belt retractor (driver's side).

Chances are good you'll find the ground has deteriorated or the lime green wires have corroded through and are grounding out.

Not there ? try under the driver's kick panel and look for the 4 plug connector like this;

Sixlitre

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.