Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, let's start with the easy ones first.

First question, very simple. I've searched and saw one post where a guy was wondering if some specific speedo's would work in his 85. I'm wondering if there are ANY speedos that go over 90 (preferably 120, but whatever) that would work in my 95? It's probably not possible, but I'd like to find out. If it doesn't work, could someone explain why?

Second question, if there is NO other speedo that will work with my truck, is it a bad thing to pop off the little pins that stop the speedo needle at 90?

Now, the questions about my trans/shifting.

My transmission shifts extremely hard if I'm sitting at zero, and floor it. When I hit second and third, it jerks really hard, and I've had 2nd gear scratch before :shocked
That's not a good second-gear scratch either, that's my transmission jerking so hard that it makes the tires squeak.

Is this a really bad sign?

Second, my shifter is going CRAZY, It never fully shifts into park, it has a hell of a lot of play (I can move it up and down about 2 inches each way (from the handle) while driving). I know there's an easy way to fix this (something about opening the column) but I forgot what exactly it's called....so can someone please head me in the right direction so I can search?

Thanks. :thumbup

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do you ask? :toothless

That's not the principle of the matter. It's just a sincere, honest, innocent question.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
At the very back of your steering column, straight up from the brake pedal, you'll find a lever attached to the end of your shifter rod (which is inside the steering column). There are two gold torx bolts holding the lever to the rod. The other end of the lever has your shift cable attached to it. Check that the two gold torx bolts are present, and tight.

Look for my thread called "some shifter tips" or something like that. Also, you don't need to open or drop the column to check this. Taking off the knee panel on the dash may help, if you're a big fat guy like me, but you probably don't even need to do that.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check it after school. Thanks for that.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MLPS? I don't know what that is..but I'll search.

·
I see Broncos
6,010 Posts
The MLPS is the shifter switch on the side of your tranny. Take it by a GOOD tranny shop and have them pull the codes. That can/should tell you what is wrong with your tranny. Also as for the spedo question your only other solution is to get a PSOM from a lightning. But your more likely to find an atlasII t-case in the junkyard.

·
I see Broncos
6,010 Posts
Oh and one last thing, you can remove the little pins in the spedo but without a readout it's useless.

·
Banned
22,582 Posts
The Lightning speedo shows higher numbers, but good luck finding one for less than $100. If you go junkyarding for a whole cluster, it'll need to be from a '94-96 F150L. If you can get just the PSOM, '92-96 will work, but I don't think the L was offered in '92.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes :doh0715:

And I appreciate it :toothless

I was just SEARCHING like you guys always orgasm over :thumbup

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, where did you say it would? I guess I missed it :shrug

Question, what's a PSOM exactly? I don't want the whole cluster because then my mileage would be off. Or is the milage meter on the speedo?

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, does anyone have a flippin' picture of these torx screws?? If I'm looking at the right ones, they're large and right next to eachother right above the pedal. I cannot get a friken bit in those because there's a metal plate with a spring at the end and it won't let me put anything in there that's more than about a 1/4 inch long.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Doh, I was looking at the wrong screws. I fixed it, sorry guys :doh0715:

It doesn't shift completely into park, but I think it'll be ok.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts