Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so my four wheel drive isnt working i searched and nothing came up my drive shaft to the front spins till it gets to the axle but the shaft to the two front wheels wont spin at all what is wrong

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
The driveshaft spins, but not the axle shafts? Only thing could be a grenaded diff. I would suspect, though, that they are spining and you just cant tell. Youd be hearing cool noises if the diff was lunched. Prolly bad hubs, are they manual or auto? If manual, are they engaged?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nah the the crappy stock auto lockers im hoping that is all it is and i can just change them out but i looked up and there is a spot where you can see the axle shafts u-joints and they dont spin at all

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Is the diff stock? And why does your sig say "warn premium locking hubs"?

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Id say the diff is done. Time to pull it and have a look.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you think its that cause my neighbor who has had jeeps all his life said it could be the spider gears are stripped. how hard is it to take it apart and look at it

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
It's involved. you have to totally disassemble the front end to get in there to look at it.

read this:
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13107&highlight=chunk

So I'd be damn good and sure that neither axle is spinning. if one spins but the other doesn't that indicates one of your hubs not locking in. It's also not common for a D44 to spit spider gears unless you were in 4x4 when it happened and if you were you'd know they blew.

Justin

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well from what i can tell and i did do it tonight when it was dark and i looked at the spot where the two axles came together they arent spinning at all and i got this truck in august and the guy who had it before me never really took it off road the most mud it was was crossing the creek at the hunting camp and it is all gravel

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
So since youve had it, have you known for sure that the 4x4 was working? If you never heard a noise or anything, Id say it wasnt.

·
has no skidplate
4,320 Posts
if you had a fancy borescope or know someone who does you could always peek into the diff with it and take a look around

but if you get no torque output from the diff it sounds bad
may be time to regear:toothless:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ive never heard noises so what else could it be??? stripped gears?? hubs??

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I'd think stripped gears would make noise...Sounds more like no gears, haha.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Seem odd that there could be that much damage inside the front diff without noise were you looking at both sides of the axle when it was spinnng, you probily have an open diff. If the auto hub on the drivers side broke the small shaft on that side would spin spin and the longer shaft on the passenger side won't spin and you might have not seen it.

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
I would disconnect the driveshaft and turn the pinion by hand. That will remove any doubt that the shafts arent spinning. I too find it strange that the diff would be trashed and not make any noises.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well when i looked i looked where the two connect and neither was spinning while the drive shaft was

1 - 17 of 17 Posts