Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I know that I will get inundated with people telling me to search. I did, and to no avail. I have a 1995 XLT and I am not sure whether I have manual or automatic hubs (noob alert). The 4x4 light next to the 4x4 button and the light on the instrument panel are both lit, however it definitely doesn't feel as though it is in for wheel drive. When I turn the car off, the lights go off, so I ruled out bulb issues. Any help is greatly appreciated, as I am a humble noob deep surrounded by The Mightiest o' all the Bronco Masters in all the land. Thanks!:rockon

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Take a look at the front hubs, if there is a little handle that you can turn with your fingers, the hubs are manual. The auto hubs have 4X4 on them, and no little handle.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
sooo the 4x4 light is always on? or just when you press it?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I have auto hubs then, because they say 4x4 on the center and there is no handle. And the light stays on, my mechanic was doing a full inspection and he tested the 4x4. He then got it out, but the light stayed on. (UPDATE: I definitely have auto hubs, I stepped outside and the hubs say automatic on them)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Ive got a 95 XLT also. Still have auto hubs (plan on switching one of these days). Had the truck for about 10 yrs. Ive had the 4x4 light come on many times for no reason. Button not accidentally pushed, 4x4 not engaged, just the light on. It usually goes away after truck shut off and restarted. Only happens a every couple months. Not sure why. Since 4 wheel doesn't engage I've never really worried about it. Glad Im not the only one having an issue though.
4x4 does engage and disengage without any issues when the button is pressed. Also when the light comes on by itself its not as bright as when its intentionally used. So does yours operate properly other than the light?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I ended up taking it to my mechanic friend and he was able to tell me that I need a new 4x4 motor, but that it shouldn't be expensive and it is easy to put in. Thanks again for the help guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts