Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OMG!!!:shocked YOu would not believe what I just had to go through to change my fuel cartridge filter (on the frame rail)!!!

It started leaking and I did a general search online to see what it was, and I inadvertantly came across a recall for those parts on vehicles in Canada.

Long story short, it was easier just to change it my self (I thought). So a few people on FSB said to get a Fram filter. They even gave me the product number.

I looked all over the parts stores, and no one in Riverside carried Fram fuel filters. They carry Fram everything else!!

So I finally decided to get one from Auto Zone, after I took mine out and saw that it really needed to be changed anyway. (they only sell some other brand) I have it sitting around for a couple of weeks, until I get around to changing it. Well that was today at my moms house.

So I go about pulling the cover off and unscrewing the bottom of the canister off. I pull the new one out, filter is fine, but the &%#%&^ O-ring is a little to big. So I try it anyway, hoping that it will seat itself. NOPE!!!!

Turned the key on a couple times....SPEWED GAS ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!!!!!

So I end up messing with it and the old O-ring for about an hour, getting pretty heated that it wasn't the right one, and the old one won't fit back in again!!

So finally my mom says that we can borrow her truck and go down to Kragen and see if they have a Fram filter there. HALELUIA!!! they had them.

I get back, take off the canister for the hundreth time, slip the Fram filter on (instead of the cheasy one) drop the O-ring onto the cup .......Holy ****!!! It drops right in...PERFECT FIT!!!! Screw it back on, turn the ignition on.... NOT A DROP!! Started the Bronco up....NOT A DROP!!!! Drove all the way home, and then some.....NOT A DROP.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING BUT A FRAM FUEL FILTER. THE REST SUCK!!!!!

ok, I'm done venting for now.:rockon

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
What's wrong with Motorcraft fuel filters?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not the filter, but the size of the O-Ring that matters in this thread. Actually no one sold Motorcraft either!! They might be good. Just post in here that they are good too, if they are.;)

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
VatoZone's filters are/were manufactured by Champion labs, or at least they were when they were sold under the Deutch brand name. I haven't any idea what the F they're selling these days, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they're Chinese crap. I'm using all Motorcraft filters now though, and the fit is perfect on all of them.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
It's not the filter, but the size of the O-Ring that matters in this thread. Actually no one sold Motorcraft either!! They might be good. Just post in here that they are good too, if they are.;)
I bet ford has the motorcraft filters. :toothless

·
Registered
132 Posts
Funny, not to get off on a craigslist rant & rave tangent here, but I left an "autozone" today because of this. Sucks the nearest one to me is 24hrs (explains alot).

And what's that remark about fram "finally" doing something good? I've always thought of fram as the "gold standard", never had issues, always bought nothing but fram...

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Fram is known as the orange plague around here, particularly due to their oil filters. :toothless

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I've always thought of fram as the "gold standard", never had issues, always bought nothing but fram...

It's simple, you've always been mistaken. Their oil filters are pretty much the worst ones on the market. Their advertising budget however is second to none, which makes your mistake a common one. Apparently lots of people believe what they see in TV commercials.:shrug

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've never put much thought into it (probably should have, considering it's filtering my life's blood), never asked/discussed it either. Should I sue my autoshop teacher?

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
I've never put much thought into it (probably should have, considering it's filtering my life's blood), never asked/discussed it either. Should I sue my autoshop teacher?
No, just inform him that he's been misinformed on the quality of fram filters, and let him do some research on the internet.

3M teflon in MY oil pan? It's more likely then you think.

Thanks fram! :rofl:

I only use Motorcraft filters, or Purolator PL30001's.

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
yep can't go wrong with purolator or motorcraft. Carquest, wix, and napa gold are pretty good. They are made by wix, but they cost more than purolator or motorcraft (If you them at the stealership)

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
Mobile 1 and K&N are also good quality filters

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Purolator Pure One are the same as Motorcrafts, and cost less. I wont run any other filters on either of mine.
Yeah, I can't remember when I had seen that filter efficiency test chart on the interwebs, and the POne filters were some of the top scoring filters in having the best particulate filtration, and most surface area... had the best anti-drainback valve...gasket... and other stuff. Been using them since, and my Mobil1 has been coming out reasonably clean looking every ~5k miles for an engine that now has over 200,000 miles on it, and isn't driven lightly by any means.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Word. I picked up a bunch of Purolator One filters (the short version of a FL1A/PH8A designed to fit Chrysler 318 & 360 motors) when the local Pep Girls went bust and they had a huge clearance sale. :thumbup My oil's been pretty darn clean since, better than with the Motorcraft filter, and that's with about 4000 miles on this oil (Mobil1) & filter. I usually put 7500 on between changes.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
With the new engine I figured I would go 5,000 between changes with Mobil1

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
With the new engine I figured I would go 5,000 between changes with Mobil1
Get an oil analysis done... they can tell you how much longer your oil will be good for.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts