Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay heres the deal i have a 81 bronco body that is in great condition and its solid body but the frame is twisted and bent up its no good. So i need to know which year frame would be the best to swap it on and which is the strongest. once i get a frame i am completely restoring the truck and building it up with about 500hp stroker engine so i need a good frame thats going to hold up well.
I know a lot about all year for trucks and what sets them apart from the other year and all but not sure what frame was best for the bronco model.
I also have heard that the 92-96 is not the best for off-road, and they have the accordion style in the front of the frame making it not as strong as others for off-road , and that the 80-82 year range that i have was not the of them all because it was sort of experimental and not nearly as strong, but however the 78-79 is pretty strong.

I just want your imput on what you think about the whole ordeal, and the truck is going to be lifted street truck and toy to take to the dunes and some prerunner style driving but not realy going to mud bog it because i dont wanna break stuff and however it is going to be a realy clean truck and in very well condition with not one scratch on it.

Thanks for you time, Ronnie

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
im not a noobie why this get moved its a tech question

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Sounds like you have a lot of bad information floating around in your head. First off, while it would be technically possible to use a '78-'79 frame, the body mounts wouldn't match up and it would be a huge pain in the ass, at least as compared to using an 80-96 frame. As for the '92-'96 frame being weaker, that's just plain wrong. A lot of people talk a lot of shit about that frames accordion section, while having no understanding of it. That section is a crumple zone that is designed to absorb energy and crumple in the event of a severe front impact, the key word being severe. There is not a winch made that is capable of distorting that thing, even on a double line pull. What is somewhat more difficult about the accordion section is that it makes it more difficult to design a good front bumper mount, but that is in no way a strength issue. It's just easier to mount a bumper on a flat frame. I don't have any specific knowledge of the 80-82 frame being lighter build than the others, but my understanding is that all of the 80-91 frame are pretty much the same. In my opinion you will be much better served by finding any 80-96 frame that is in good condition, meaning no cracks and no rust, and go from there. As for the question about handling 500 HP, there really isn't one Bronco frame that is better than another at handling big power. Your best bet will be to go ahead and plate the frame in the areas where there will be extra stress applied to it, such as motor and tranny mount areas. I've heard of some people plating a whole frame, but I'm not a big fan of that idea because it could trap water in the frame and rust it from the inside out.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Ithe truck is going to be lifted street truck and toy to take to the dunes and some prerunner style driving but not realy going to mud bog it because i dont wanna break stuff and however it is going to be a realy clean truck and in very well condition with not one scratch on it.
I guess Im confused... Okay so if your not going to drive in a style that will break stuff, then why wouldnt a stock year frame work? but then you say dunes and prerunner, which puts pictures in my head of jumping, which will definitely break many parts unless you specifically build it for that, and I dont think any unmodified stock frame of any year would take much of that abuse. If that is the case, you are going to need to box that frame or build a tube chassis regardless... and good luck keeping scratches off a truck like that..

·
Registered
72 Posts
a 80-82 also had holes in the frame similar to what my 01 silverado has...and i have heard they were week..i dunno best of luck...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh and you have been a member for less than a year, so ya, you are a NEWB.
umm yeah i have looked at and viewed everything on this forum gor years now and i just decided a year ago to register with that new username so yeah im not a noobie...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a 80-82 also had holes in the frame similar to what my 01 silverado has...and i have heard they were week..i dunno best of luck...
yeah this is very true, being lots of holes

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess Im confused... Okay so if your not going to drive in a style that will break stuff, then why wouldnt a stock year frame work? but then you say dunes and prerunner, which puts pictures in my head of jumping, which will definitely break many parts unless you specifically build it for that, and I dont think any unmodified stock frame of any year would take much of that abuse. If that is the case, you are going to need to box that frame or build a tube chassis regardless... and good luck keeping scratches off a truck like that..
its going to be street driven a lot but but occasionaly take it places to offroad like the dunes, and im not building a complete prerunner like truck with extreme suspension travel, flared fenders, and all that good stuff.
Im not going to be beating on it or anything. it is going to be garage kept, well carred for and respected. it will be show truck quality.
I just need a different frame because of the other one being bent up and twisted from the previous owner, the frame will have few things done to it, about a few to none frame modifications like better suspension.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like you have a lot of bad information floating around in your head. First off, while it would be technically possible to use a '78-'79 frame, the body mounts wouldn't match up and it would be a huge pain in the ass, at least as compared to using an 80-96 frame. As for the '92-'96 frame being weaker, that's just plain wrong. A lot of people talk a lot of shit about that frames accordion section, while having no understanding of it. That section is a crumple zone that is designed to absorb energy and crumple in the event of a severe front impact, the key word being severe. There is not a winch made that is capable of distorting that thing, even on a double line pull. What is somewhat more difficult about the accordion section is that it makes it more difficult to design a good front bumper mount, but that is in no way a strength issue. It's just easier to mount a bumper on a flat frame. I don't have any specific knowledge of the 80-82 frame being lighter build than the others, but my understanding is that all of the 80-91 frame are pretty much the same. In my opinion you will be much better served by finding any 80-96 frame that is in good condition, meaning no cracks and no rust, and go from there. As for the question about handling 500 HP, there really isn't one Bronco frame that is better than another at handling big power. Your best bet will be to go ahead and plate the frame in the areas where there will be extra stress applied to it, such as motor and tranny mount areas. I've heard of some people plating a whole frame, but I'm not a big fan of that idea because it could trap water in the frame and rust it from the inside out.
I know all about the accordian frame section being there to absorb a crash, and the frame i get is going to be blasted and Ecoated. Also it doesnt matter about handling 500 HP, im going to be putting stronger u-joints, driveshafts, build up the trans, large torque converter, ect. and thats all that realy matters about the 500hp, any frame would be fine.

·
Registered
331 Posts
then go with whatever you find that fits... you shouldnt have to worry about twistin it...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
then go with whatever you find that fits... you shouldnt have to worry about twistin it...
yeah thats what ill do, whatever i can find that is strong and not so bad, and in the same sence i dont want to take a frame away from anouther bronco that could be on the road and if i get a parts bronco deff. would keep every part that is good, i realy hate when people crush cars you cant get them back and you cant remake an older car. but when i get anouther bronco im just going to switch the frames so that i can have a stronger frame on mine but still keep anouther bronco on the road by replacing the good frame with my good solid body and putting the bent frame on the rusty body that is not so great. Also one other thing is my frmae now in the front on passenger sinde the frame somehow from the previous owner broke it off completely and rewelded it back on thats the main reasong im switching it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
sounds like a "cut and paste" to fix damage from a wreck

·
Registered
331 Posts
unless the welds look bad, or are rusting out, the fix is probably good... if you are just wanting to swap for "piece of mind" you are going to be going through alot of trouble for that... its your call of course, but even a crappy weld can be fixed... hell you could just weld a couple of plates to either side of frame and call it good for piece of mind... if the weld is good its going to be just fine for what you want to do with it... why dont you take a pic and post it of the frame work?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
unless the welds look bad, or are rusting out, the fix is probably good... if you are just wanting to swap for "piece of mind" you are going to be going through alot of trouble for that... its your call of course, but even a crappy weld can be fixed... hell you could just weld a couple of plates to either side of frame and call it good for piece of mind... if the weld is good its going to be just fine for what you want to do with it... why dont you take a pic and post it of the frame work?
its never realy been in an accident with the exception of the driver side fender but thats the opposite side from where the peice of frame got re welded back on, and where its rewelded its not a good weld and so it sits like an inch lower in that front corner. Also not to mention the frame is tore on every end because of getting pulled out from being stuck so the bolt holes are riped and twisted and its just a big mess. The frame is still useable i would just reweld the frame in the right spot, but im getting a new frame for my body mainly because it is going to be restored and in perfect condition, i mean the underbody of the truck is even going to be painted to match the truck and cleared so i want the frame to look good as well. I deff. would not scrap the frame or cut it up because like i said i would hate to take anouther bronco off the road, im trying to keep them around, they cant be re-made, and so im going to use the frame for anouther body that is in need of a frame. probable will take a good frame from a not so good body and just swich them, my frame is still very useable.

·
Registered
331 Posts
ok... but Id look into powdercoating your frame as opposed to paint... more durable... no sanding, just media blast and coat, and bake... or even rhino line it... your paint will chip easily, just think of all the rocks and trash and sand that those tires will be slinging up underneath... JMO

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
ok... but Id look into powdercoating your frame as opposed to paint... more durable... no sanding, just media blast and coat, and bake... or even rhino line it... your paint will chip easily, just think of all the rocks and trash and sand that those tires will be slinging up underneath... JMO
x2 also if you are doing a full resto you will need to keep it to a non crumple zone frame.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah i cant remeber the name of the paint but it is realy strong and wont chip or and of that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts