Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post on this soon to be VERY looong thread! Been threatening to do this for a while now and, it's time... My fordzilla 2000 model powerstroke dropped reverse the other day, the first time I was in the transmission I got in too much of a hurry and I guess I didn't space everything properly with feeler gauges, soo, I get to tear back into it again, but that's a thread for another forum... This is about the ol reliable 94 bronco factory 5 speed, manual t-case, 5.0 truck... When the powerstroke died, I really needed a truck on the farm and the bronco just wasn't up to snuff for pulling a tractor, so I got a little 96 f-150 to beat on for temporary use, that then gives me the opportunity to turn in the tags, cancel the insurance and put the bronco on the lift. I've done lots of frame off work, but only on "classics" that were monetarily worth doing it to, never done it for a pleasure rig and never done it on a modern vehicle but I'm not scared... oh, and NO, I will not tell anyone what the "nasty surprise" is until it is actually happening. All I will say for now is it will not be a meat head carburetor motor! I have been looking for a cummins 4bt to swap in for a few years now and just can't find one for a reasonable price, so I gave up on that dream too, this build is an attainable goal for my finances. I don't expect this build to be done quickly, probably take a year to do it unless the money tree falls on my head haha

She must have been a northern truck because it has a block heater, snow plow package and LOTS of hidden rust that's slowly gotten worse over the years I've owned her.... Typical fender arches and lower quarter panel rust that I honestly never really cared about fixing, just threw some bondo in every year or so and hit it with touch up paint so it wasn't too hideous looking, but.... some of the body mounts are just flat GONE and the rear seat mounts are nearly gone as well as the rear tailgate mounts and bottom of tailgate... I really feel like it won't be long before I hit the brakes and I keep on going while the truck stays behind me :rockon

Pics to come of the rusty areas!

To address some forseen questions, yes, it probably would be better to sell the old gal and find a bronco with a better body and a blown engine/tranny to work with, BUT.... I like doing ridiculous things AND.... The "nasty surprise" is going to require a 5 speed unit...

I love this rig, she's gotten me through alot and never left me walking, well, except that one time before I put the winch on.... so, she's never left me walking when I wasn't being dumb :toothless That I suppose is the main reason for me not getting rid of her and starting with a better specimen.

I'll post some pics of the rusty areas that I can easily access tomorrow, but lets just say for now, they're pretty rough, spare tire carrier acts like it's going to rip the fender off.

I figured I would start this build thread from the beginning and this is it... The acquisition of a decent vehicle to get me by while the old gal gets restored. It will probably be a week before I go ahead and cancel the insurance on it and drop the tags, I thought I would post here now so you fine folks can keep me appropriately ribbed into keeping the project alive and not allowing it to become a basket case like that '59 bel-air that we won't speak of :twak

I think LMC Truck is about to become my new best friend! If anyone knows of other places to buy weld-in panels, I'd appreciate some links, I don't mind fabricating the body mounts back to spec but would rather not fabricate body panels if I don't need to!

Stay Tuned!!! This will prove to be interesting and while it won't be the first of it's kind, will definitely be worth a thread of its own!

-Goober

·
Registered
468 Posts
Sounds like the beginning of a great adventure!...Remember my friend - a pic is worth a thousand words....pics, pics, pics!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
lots of pics I promise! would have taken the "before" pics today but spent all day getting the new/old f150 in shape for being the go-to truck... Dang chevy van blew a transmission cooler line on a parts run today though :banghead so had to spend another couple of hours on the roadside getting it driveable again. Lucky I was driving it and not the Mrs. Goober or she may not have noticed right away and damaged the transmission.

I have to figure out a lean code on the f-150 before I take tags/insurance off of the bronco, most likely dirty injector filters is my guess since it's all on the same fuel bank, showing a 25% fuel trim and no rich smelling exhaust with large misfire counts on that entire bank. Luckily it's bank 1 and I'm pretty sure that's the easy bank to remove, gotta check that and make sure, hope I don't have to remove the intake and tinker on those other injectors under there...

anyhow, Pics to come, promise just have to get through this first bit of getting everything tip top before I take tags off the bronco!

***edit*** and POOP!!!! Been working on chevy's too much lately, guess bank one is the one under the intake... Looks like I've got another full day of tinkering on the f-150 to get that lean code figured out... I'm 99% sure it is clogged injectors over there, but I'll do a little more diagnosis before I go yanking that dang intake plenum off... High fuel trim with a lean code and no rich exhaust smell tells me it's pretty much gotta be injectors over there, either sticky or the filters full of junk... Guess it could have bad O-rings or a seriously bad intake gasket only on that side... Anyhow, I've got the fancy diagnostic machine and some motivation, we'll get her going and then ONTO THE BRONCO BUILD!!!

·
Premium Member
1989 Eddie Bauer 5.8, C6, True Trac diffs, 4.56 gears, 4" C&T lift, 130A 3G Alt, 35" Grabber AT2s
595 Posts
Bronco Graveyard is another panel source. Bought my floor pans from them.

·
OMF
2,930 Posts
Still waiting on those pics, tisk tisk...

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry fellas, this thread is gonna have to wait... I WILL BE BACK THOUGH!!!! i've only got a 3 bay garage and have to get the powerstroke in there and NOW I have to rebuild the engine on my little kubota small tractor... We have big tractors but they aren't worth a flip for mowing all this grass here on the farm... I can't tie up all 3 bays with major projects in case something else breaks on one of our daily drivers.

Damn wouldn't you know it too, just a little 2 cylinder engine and I'm looking at almost a thousand bucks worth of parts IF I didn't break a connecting rod or need a crank shaft.... I'm hoping I don't, but WOW.... I rebuilt the engine in my big massey for less than half of that...

Anyhow, sorry fellas, no one is more bummed than me about this, but I'll get everything sorted and roll the old gal in the shop as soon as we get our grass cutting situation figured out. Tempted to just get a riding mower but I've been down that road before, brand new riders make it about one season on the farm before they're ready for the scrap yard, just too much work for a homeowner machine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts