Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So turns out I took a risk on this Bronco and struck out. Paid $200 to find out frame is diamoned, shop recommends a new frame. Just so happens I have one on my parts Bronco, so I guess my spring project is now a summer project. I'm gonna make some damn lemonade outta this lemon.

Soo, never done such a thing before, but I actually enjoy wrenching on vehicles and learning about how automobiles work. I've always wanted to do an engine swap, trans swap, etc, and what better way than to jump balls deep into this project.

Been looking through many threads, got a good idea of what I need to do. Just looking for any tips or suggestions to make this easier. Gonna run out and buy an engine hoist, a set of prybars, and a case of beer for all the 'help' from my friends. Already got a Haynes manual, a laptop with wireless for FSB, and in 3 weeks I'll have 5 days off in a row, so hopefully by then I'll have everything ready to do the swap then.

Also, any 'must do's' while the body is off and frame is visible? Not gonna drop cash on lift and stuff, still a little cynical and don't wanna invest any more money into this truck until I at least get one ride in it. Thanks for all the help, this site really is a lifesaver.

And Steve83, I've already blew up your supermotors page looking at all the diagrams... you rock! :rockon

Oh yeah, realized I didn't put the years in... body/engine/trans donor is 96, frame donor is 95.

·
Registered
834 Posts
While I am tempted to agree with the masses here..

1: On the $200.00 truck, how is the body/engine/interior?

2: On the parts truck, what kind of condition is THAT one in?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$200 was the setup fee for the frame shop, I've got $1400 between the 2 Broncos invested so far.

The 96 XLT Sport that I want to replace the frame is in as good shape as many out there. Interior is totally clean, nonsmoker. Minor rust over the driver wheelwell, either none on the pass side, or just hidden by paint. B pillars solid. Pass fender is dinged up from where the wheel hit it after the kid ran it into a curb. Engine is a 5.8, started up first time when I went and looked at it. Oil good, no leaks (was sitting in my driveway for at least a month before I took it to the frame shop, nothing on ground). Truck was running on the road up until December when the kid wrecked it. And it also has a pretty sweet sticker of an AK47 and a motorcycle shop!:rockon:haha

95 Bronco - some girl wanted to learn how to drift like a pro, and sent it sideways into a ditch and then a tree. The whole roof is caved in into the driver seat, but from the floor down no worries. It had also been sitting for 6 years when I went and picked it up. Bought it for the front suspension to replace the damage on the 96

I'm not scrapping this project. With my work schedule, I'm always looking for a project to wrench on, and right now this is it. I know it's going to be labor intensive, but I'm actually looking forward to it. So, does anyone have any tips or suggestions to make this any easier?

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Check with your Dmv as well some states you have to go throught some hoops to register the frame vin and the rest of the truck. I know in FL you have to do some paperwork on the frame and body if you want to combine 2 different vehicles but the motor doesnt mater.

·
Super Moderator
25,795 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
The link provided will do you a world of good.
I might also suggest that you cut out the floors of the doner for future use.
Many of us cut an access panel into the rear floor for the fuel pump.
In addition, if you want to get rid of the front and rear ends of either truck (free of course), let me know because I am looking for a doner myself...

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
$200 was the setup fee for the frame shop, I've got $1400 between the 2 Broncos invested so far.
Thought you paid 200 for the bronco. In that case, ditto on what Redwagon said.

Good luck with the project!! You've got a golden opportunity to do a ground up restoration. Looking forward to the pics.:thumbup

·
Registered
176 Posts
as everyone else has said, it should be a pretty straight forward swap. Pull the bodies, I assume you want to swap the drivetrains too? while you have the donor frame stripped, clean it well and get some good primer and paint on it. Check all your body mount, and spring brackets. Id run all new fuel and brake lines while youre at it. I replaced every inch of brake line in mine when I did my axles, took me all of an hour to run and bleed the system using nickel-copper alloy brake lines. Its a little pricey, but its a dream to work with.

good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts